Eclipse (4.4) and other Java applications unusable under El Capitan DP3

Eclipse was working properly under Beta 1 and Beta 2, but seems to be having issues under Beta 3. The splash screen appears, and loading completes, and even shows my workspace. (Complete with projects, last-open tabs and contents, etc.)

However, the GUI thread seems completely stalled - I have the rainbow wheel of death perpetually, and cannot interact with any of the UI.

Update: I updated to Eclipse Mars (4.5) and am experiencing the same issue.

Replies

Thanks, I tried it too, but you were faster than me 😉

I've tried that already. Newer versions of Eclipse require Java version 1.7 or greater. I downloaded an older Eclipse (it was Kepler i think), and try to start that from commandline with specified JDK (-vm Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/1.6.0.jdk/Contents/Commands/java). It doesn't worked at all, still hang 😟

I think it's a issue with some native API linking to JDK UI part, so it's bug at OSX side, not Java side.

Maybe there're no easy workarounds to fix it until Apple release beta4.... TT

hope not so.

I have tha same problem.

Someone find a workarounds ?

I have installed the most recent version of Oracle Java 8 SDK - U60 Build 22 (Release Date - 07/01/2015) and still experience the same problem. Both Eclipse Luna (4.4) nor Mars (4.5) han on startup. I was trying to install the U60 build 23 (release date 7/7/2015); however, the .pkg file is corrupt.

My initial thought was that perhaps it was a SWT issue; however, Netbeans 8.0.2 starts and then crashes shortly after startup.

Seeing the same issue. Happens with multiple JDK versions and eclipse versions. IntelliJ seems fine.

This will create a lot of IntelliJ converts. 😁

I was able to download and install Java 8 U60 Build 23 and confirmed using Activity Monitor after I configured Eclipse to use it that it was in fact loading Build 23, but it still hung. I also tried the following:

• Java version 1.8.0.45
  • Java version 1.8.0.40
  • Java version 1.7.0.67
  • Java version 1.9.0.71

None of the above worked. Again I confirmed using Activity Monitor to see what files Eclipse opened and confirmed that it loaded the correct Java each time based on my changing the -vm flag for eclipse.

I also downloaded the latest nightly for Eclipse (both 4.5 and 4.6) neither worked, though with those I only tried loading them with Java 1.8.0.45 (my default and the current stable release).

I have moved over to using Coda for now, but I really hope someone can figure out the problem.

Last thing I'll mention is that I am running ColdFusion 10.0 which is also a Java App. It is currently configured for Java 1.8.0.40 and it is running just fine, so the problem might not strictly be Java. Hope this info helps someone else or at least saves others time wasting trying the same things.

nice 🙂

Is there any Apple staffs watching this post?

fix it soon, please.... it's a bug shouldn't happens.

Knowing there's a bug affects almost every JAVA apps and still release it out? It's a huge time waste for all who are happy to test the beta.

Totally agree. This has been a major time drain for me, and I'm having to completely re-organize my development cycle as a consequence. Don't they do regression testing at Apple, as in - don't make your subsequent releases WORSE than the previous one? I'm sure it's a bit more complicated than that, but it would be extremely helpful is an Apple representative would acknowledge the issue and give us a little more detail such as a priority statement or a timeline. Now we just have a sit around wondering. A more open dialogue would go a long way. "Some versions of Eclipse may hang during use" doesn't tell us much. Back when Google was still a young company and run primarily by engineers - very good engineers I might add - their employees would actually actively participate in forums like this. Now there is less of that, and with Apple seemingly turning into a marketing-led operation which other than adding some push in iTunes for their streaming service and adding back in support for a dead USB port, this release has caused a lot of problems.

It seems Apple has lost a lot of their focus on the developer community. Typed on a MacBook Pro 17" from 2009, which I refuse to replace because the new MacBooks have smaller screen sizes, less storage (I upped my HD to 1TB SSD), and hard-solder all the components onto the motherboard, disabling us from doing an upgrade without the high holy priests from Jonathan Ive's design team selling us another entire machine. After they dropped Java support, I began having my serious doubts. The reason I switched Macs in the first place was Apple seemed to place power users, graphic designers, engineers, etc. first - now I think we've come in a sad second or even third. Mobile devices are great - I love the iPhone - but please, I'm not going to develop on one. Please bring back Apple COMPUTER. Sincerely - an Apple fan asking for a little reality check from Cupertino.

couldn't agree more.

I think Apple won't go that far to drop Java support

P.S. I'm lucky than you by only upgrade one iMac, and keep my MBP at Yosemite. but this issue is still an annoying one.

I have just installed the public El Capitan beta.

Eclipse 4.3 hangs at a later stage now, but still hangs.

Eclipse 4.4 gets to the workspace selector but freezes at that stage.

So, no real improvement to the developer beta 3.

I really needed Java/Eclipse. So, I went back to DP2. FWIW, here's how:

1. Install the original Beta 1. It is available from your app store purchases tab.
  2. After installing, your system may not be able to find Beta 2 automatically. So, you need to follow the steps in the thread below.

https://forums.developer.apple.com/thread/6624

Mainly, make sure the software update is set correctly. Even with this set, my system did not detect Beta 2 automatically. So, I manually downloaded DP2 and installed it. Mail quit on starting. Simply, deleting all the mail accounts (from System Preferences -> Internet Accounts) helped.
  3. Tested it today. Looks like everything is fine. Eclipse is back to working. So, I have a DP2 with the new iTunes and Apple Music.

Did you install it like an update, or needed to do a clean install of OSX with all your data backed up, and restored after the installation?

Installed DP1 just like an update, over DP3.