Problems installing macOS 10.13 on server system

I have a problem, installing the High Sierra beta on a Mac mini (Mid 2010) w/8 GB memory and 2 internal HDDs when it detects that Server software is on the disk.

Install to the 2nd non-system disk worked without problem. However, installing onthe system disk that contains Server generates the following message:

macOS 10.13 Beta supports macOS Server version 5.2. To upgrade your Server you will first need to install OS X 10.10 or 10.11 and OS X Server 4 or 5.

The disk is greyed out as a target. The other disk is not greyed out and now has a copy of macOS 10.13 on it. I can boot from either disk and there are not obvious problems of errors.

The Server software is Server 5.3.1 (16S4128) and the OS is MacOS Sierra 10.12.6 Beta (16G12b).

Is there a work around? It looks from this one situation like it doesn't support updating a current server platform but a clean install allows you to install the Beta Server software.

Accepted Reply

I had the same problem. I deleted Server.app from the Applications folder and rebooted. I was then able to select my local hard drive for the install. In my case I had an old Lion Server install. FWIW, the install went smoothly on a new touch bar MBP.

Replies

I had the same problem. I deleted Server.app from the Applications folder and rebooted. I was then able to select my local hard drive for the install. In my case I had an old Lion Server install. FWIW, the install went smoothly on a new touch bar MBP.

Thanks... did you lose all the server settings? I can live with it, but it would save a bunch of time to preserve them.

Probably should have mentioned that I don't (intentionally) use server services. I'm not sure when/why I installed it.

I renamed server.app in the utilities folder and I was able to install High Sierra without problems. Then I renamed server.app back and did the Server Beta update. Most things are working but the web services are screwed and the Server Stats are always blank and never update.