Dose the ArKit have the capability of using front facing Camera

I wanted to use the front facing camera for tracking, is it possible to do using Apple's new ArKit

Replies

curious about this as well— would love support for the iPhone's front-facing camera with ARKit.

I would love this feature as well!! AR selfies 😎

Same!

I think if you want to make the selfie AR, you shoud use vision kit instead of ARKit.

The ARKit is all about plane detection, not face detection.

Na. We need plane detection. We want to add animals etc / new worlds behind the person.

My feeling is that WWDC 2018 and iPhone 8 / X / Pro will answer this... although you might probably can hack it somewhat. How did Snapchat and Facebook does it? Clever machinery? If I am not wrong at one video of WWDC 2017, there is one video shows face detection with some kind of facial character. Not sure about tracking it in realtime though. For sure Apple will make this easy and AR ready at some point.

Hello,

I am interested in this feature as well.

Did someone in this forum made contact with Apple developers and asked them about it ?

Anybody knows about ETA when such thing will be supported ?

Thank you

In response to the original question "I wanted to use the front facing camera for tracking, is it possible to do using Apple's new ArKit":

Yes, this is possible, see ARFaceTrackingConfiguration. If you need world tracking in addition to face tracking, as of iOS 13, setting isWorldTrackingEnabled = true will enable world tracking functionality during a session running the face tracking configuration, which means that the ARFaceAnchors would be reported in world space, instead of being reported relative to the face itself.

It is possible to render a sphere in specific coordinate in ARFaceTrackingConfiguration?

I have tried it, and some how did not work.

Not sure exactly what you mean by "specific coordinate", but it's probably possible. You should request technical support: https://developer.apple.com/support/technical/