iOS 11 Battery Life

I just noticed that the beta is hammering my battery on my 7 plus. I started about 4 hours ago with a full charged battery. Normal day to day functions dropped me to 40% in about 3 hours. Definitly more taxing than IOS10 at this point. It is something that they will need to address fairly soon I imagine.

Replies

Ditto. 6s here, dropped from 60% to 19% over the course of 3 hours. Very bad battery life currently.

Same here. iPhone 7, usually end my day at more than 60%. Today (first day with iOS 11 Beta) finished my day with 12%, and I used my phone much less than usual (busy day). If anyone is concerned before using iOS 11: yes, it drains the battery a ton as of June 6th iOS 11 (15A5278f).

that is normal (and almsot expected) for early beta versions - probably due to tons of additional logging and debug info, ... etc. From past experience, starting around beta3 or beta4 battery life goes back to normal (though the last two years it was exceptional good from fairly early on, maybe beta2)

Same for me on my iPod touch 6th gen, If I completely charge it, it will drop to 13 % in aproximatively 1:45 if I use it non-intensively.

Can you guys connect to xCode and run Activity Monitor and see what processes are using the CPU? I'm seeing that a process called medianalysisd is using 60-70% of the CPU even when phones display is off. That could be our issue!

I will check when I get home from work. That is probably the problem, my phone has been running hot all day, if something is running the cpu constantly that would explain the heat and the drain.

Okay great, I've been having this medianalysisd drain since iOS 10 so I would definitely check. I think it's Photos related. I'm thinking of doing a reset and not restoring from backup. Let me know what you find.

It may be a process of scanning your media for beta debug and optimization reasons, or that it's converting media to the new formats (unless this was already done while updating to iOS 11). It could also be that it's doing a ton of work with machine learning regarding faces, effects, aggregation of photos to create memories slideshows, or just scanning all media to categorize. If this is it then it would only take a couple of days, if not then it may in fact be a debug process.

that would be my thought - and that process name is consistent with that, so it should settle soon I'd guess!

>It is something that they will need to address fairly soon I imagine.

What if they're doing it as part of the beta?

Battery/power management is routinely prioritized down during early beta cycles. Worry if issues manifest later and/or w/the public release.

Same my iPhone 6s went from 100% to 29% in 4 hours but I know From when I Get up to going to bed using iOS 10 it usually goes from 100% to 50-40% which I use it for around 9ish hours ofcause not constant use but it seems to drain faster after iOS 11

Thank you for the reply. However it is still doing this. I've been checking the activity monitor on my phone for a month now and it's been doing it since. I think that it might be a corrupt media on my backup. I will try to set up my phone from scratch to see if it fixes it. It's frustrating that they couldn't address these bugs in the new os. I remember when I bought 6s plus when it came out and it would last 2 days with constant use. Nowadays, my 7 plus battery drops 20 percent in 1.5 hours with barely any use.

I noticed it with my 7 plus as well. Typically I can go from 8am-8pm and have approximately 50% battery at the end of my day. Started it at 8am yesterday and by 2pm I was at 25%.

I am having the same issue on my iPhone 7Plus, usually i can go from 5am until 3pm and have about 30% left, but my phone has been dying around noon!! I hope that the problem gets resolved with future updates. If anyone knows if the battery life issue will be resolved, i'd love to know.

This is typical of all of the first few betas for as long as they have had developer betas. Nothing is “wrong”. Once beta 3 or 4 is out it should be closer to normal.