Can no longer pair Apple Watch with iPhone (watchOS 4)

This morning both my apple watch and iphone were updated to ios 11 and watchos 4. While performance on the iphone was good, the same could not be said for the Apple Watch. So here is the deal: I preceded to unpair my and reset my apple watch. So after minutes of apple logo and loading circles, I get greeted with a screen which tells me to "Bring iPhone near Apple Watch". (This must be a new pairing feature similar to Airpods/Beats X) I followed all the instructions however my Apple Watch could not pair to my iPhone. Apple support told be to restore my iPhone to the latest iOS 10 version which I have meanwhile done. Now however I don't even get the chance to try and pair my apple watch. Not much I can do on the watch as it remains on the screen which tells me "Bring iPhone near Apple Watch".

I was wodnering whether I should update my iPhone to iOS 11 and try the pairing again, or is there any other solution? Has anyone else come across this issue? Every bit of info helps.

Replies

Also stuck on this as well. Apple Support couldnt help as its beta and theyre unsure of the next steps.

Hi Fabriziofromswitzerand

watchOS 4 requires your iPhone to be running iOS 11. Therefore, you need to upgrade iPhone to iOS 11 so you can pair it.

Similar to watchOS 3, if you're having issues with the pairing flow, tap the "i" on the watch to enter the manual pairing flow. In addition, please file a bug reportregarding this issue so we can better assist on our side.

Thanks!

i have this problem too, my phone is ios10 and cannot pair or reset the watch.

have the same problem. cann´t pair watch with iphone io11

You can't downgrade the OS version on your Apple Watch yourself. With the last version of watchOS, Apple did allow people to take it into an Apple Store and have it sent off for a couple of days to do this. But there is no way you can do it yourself, unlike the iPhone.

As ebr0** mentions, you can only pair a watch running watchOS 4 with iOS 11.

Best thing to do would be to wait for the more stable public beta of iOS 11 coming out at the end of June where you will be able to pair your watch again. It does mean your watch will only be able to tell the time until then - no notifications or internet connection!

If you want it sooner then you'll have to upgrade your iPhone again to iOS 11.

Yes I'm experiencing this to

Go on your iPhone and sign out of iMessage. Was having same problem and this fixed it for me. Still took ~4 minutes to get past that Apple ID screen but it did work. If this still doesn't work try signing out of iCloud altogether.

I've tried this but with no luck unfortunately. Has anyone else had the same issue or have any other suggestions?

Hi All,

if you're hitting this, we'd love to get more information to investigate further. Please use Bug Reporter to file a report and please include a sysdiagnose taken from your iPhone after reproducing the failed pairing session.

Thanks!

-nick

Hi,

As said by a few people above, you will need to update to ios 11 on your iphone.

I too did what you did and downgraded after issues and lost everything on my watch so decided to install ios 11 again.

I then went on to have issues where it kept saying "put iphone near watch" etc and also got to the stage of scanning the 'fuzzy image' (not sure what thats called) and then it would freeze.

To cut short, had to keep restarting the watch and trying over and over until it worked on about the 7th attempt.

Stick with it and always start from new on the watch if it jams up or you'll be there for ages.

Gavin.

(@MaxdMerc)

Thank you for this suggestion. I signed out of iMessage and it went through without fail.

I can’t not pair my Apple WatchOS 4 in my iPhone iOS 11, don’t understand, the Bluetooth always blinking but cannot connects to the phone, can’t someone help me?

Can you explain bit more on this ? :/ iPhone: iOS 11 Beta 2 & WatchOS 4 beta 1 :/ Bluetooth keeps blinking and hanged

To anyone, really who is having this problem; perhaps try removing the watch from your iCloud devices and then try pairing again. Worked for me!

Same for me