You may not install to this volume as it has legacy FileVault users

Attempting to install MacOS High Sierra and I'm seeing this error.

"You may not install to this volume as it has legacy FileVault users"

I've never used FileVault, so this is a strange error.

Any thoughts?

Accepted Reply

I solved this. I still had old Sonos application on my computer from way back when I had a Sonos speaker.

After I did a completed uninstall of the Sonos application (using CleanMyMac 3 to help make sure all the files were gone or any other similar app) I relaunched the 10.13 installer and it allowed me to continue.

Replies

This didn’t work for me. The Sonos error is still showing in the install logs

My problem was the Sonos application, as bluetiger20 pointed out. I did try to remove Sonos via CleanMyMac 3, but it didn't work.

Fix for me was to open Sonos application, and go to file menu and select "Uninstall".

One issue for me: I no longer have a Sonos speaker. When I open the Sonos application it quickly jumps into the Sonos speaker setup and doesn't allow you to see the Uninstaller dialog box after you select Uninstall from the file menu. What I had to do was open the app and really quickly select the Uninstall option from the File menu, and hit enter. Took me 5 or 6 tries.

Best of luck.

I too have this error (You may not install to this volume because it has legacy FileVault users) when trying to install High Sierra. The fun part is that I never installed any Sonos application.

I am trying to install macOS 10.13 Beta remotely as I needed it to install macOS Server 5.4 on a Mac mini Server (Mid 2011) with 2 hard disks. The data volume is available, but the Server HD volume is grayed out and when trying to select it results in the error mentioned.

Thanks - this didn't work for me initially, but I reinstalled the Sonos app, and then used "uninstall" from within that app. Then the installation was successful.

I too have this issue but have never ever had any sonos app installed 😟

I tryied downloading and installing the sonos desktop app however, as i don't have a sonos speaker it never completes the setup wizard as it can't detect anything.

is there are way around this

the uninstall option is greyed out all the while im in the setup wizard

I got rid of the Sonos app per the instructions here, but get the same error. Do I also have to turn filevault off before installing? Any other clue? My system log has nothing revealing

I don’t think 10.13 will allow FileVault encryption in this first build.

I read a post from someone who said that after installing 10.13 their Disk Utility didn’t show the usual encrypted info, I turned off FileVault before installing, once installed I opened Security & Privacy to turn FileVault back on, but the ‘Turn On FileVault‘ is greyed out, it won’t let me encrypt my SSD now that I’m running 10.13.

I still get an error after deleting the sonos app.

osinstallersetupd[623]: Can not found legacy FileVault user named: SonosDMS

I tried the following command in Terminal: sudo fdesetup remove -user SonosDMS. But then i get Error: Unable to remove user with the uuid....

Anyone an other solution?

That worked for me.

Downloaded the Sonos App, installed it, then from within the Sonos App chose Uninstall from the File menu, I was able to get past the hang.

Was anyone able to reinstall their Sonos app after upgrading to High Sierra? Some of us are beta testers for more than one product and need that app as well! 😉

I have Sonos. I did same as you. Now 10.13 is installing. Thanks

Esa

I am also facing the same issue on my MacBook (2016). I am not having any Sonos installed on my MacBook. However, as per the suggestions in this post, i installed and unistalled the same. This did not help me. Has anybody found any concrete solution/fix to this?

Or you can by pass the install of cleanmymac3 with my terminal solution

https://forums.developer.apple.com/thread/79620?sr=stream

Thanks for the tip. This proved that I do NOT have a sonos DMS user on my machine. The list of users is:

dscl . list /Users | grep -v '^_'

daemon

limiteduser

macports

nobody

oran

root

test

Could macports be the problem? I'd rather not have to uninstall macports just to test the theory that it will clear the legacy filevault user error.

Uninstalling the Sonos app fixed the issue for me as well.