You may not install to this volume as it has legacy FileVault users

Attempting to install MacOS High Sierra and I'm seeing this error.

"You may not install to this volume as it has legacy FileVault users"

I've never used FileVault, so this is a strange error.

Any thoughts?

Accepted Reply

I solved this. I still had old Sonos application on my computer from way back when I had a Sonos speaker.

After I did a completed uninstall of the Sonos application (using CleanMyMac 3 to help make sure all the files were gone or any other similar app) I relaunched the 10.13 installer and it allowed me to continue.

Replies

what sort of drive is it ie SSD, fusion, or standered

I have he same issue. Late 2016 MBP SSD

Same here. I did have FileVault enabled and disabled it, but am still getting the message after multiple tries.

2013 rMBP SSD.

Remind not to try it in on my macbook pro

I'm doing a complete fresh install to see if that helps. Either way, it'll be a fresh install of macOS 10.2.

I've got a 2015 iMac - getting the same error, but I have never used FileVault (it is a fusion drive.)

I did open up the log of the installer, and it was complaining that it couldn't find a "file vault user named SonosDMS"

I do have Sonos equipment connected through my Mac, but I have never set up a new user using FileVault.

I have found the same error in the logs: Sonos dms

I uninstalled Sonos from my macbook pro but it didn't seem to help

I solved this. I still had old Sonos application on my computer from way back when I had a Sonos speaker.

After I did a completed uninstall of the Sonos application (using CleanMyMac 3 to help make sure all the files were gone or any other similar app) I relaunched the 10.13 installer and it allowed me to continue.

Weird I tried the same exact thing and it's still getting an error for me.

I'm receiving the same log error with SonosDMS. I even used CleanMyMac to remove, but it still won't allow me to continue.

I also had SonAIR installed, but I removed that too just to be safe - same error.

I merely did a Sonos Uninstall and it fixed the problem. Thanks.

So I just had a thought that maybe Clean My Mac didn't uninstall correctly with full registration.

I re-downloaded the Sonos desktop app, installed it, and uninstalled it through the built-in uninstaller.

Now, surprise surprise: the macOS 10.3 installer works. So, I would suggest that as an alternative.

Funny, Apple releases HomePod and suddenly Sonos users are having issues

I tried it this way, but it didn't work.

BUT... I used this guide and it worked for me.

1. Get user accounts listed:

sudo dscl . list /Users

2. Delete SonosDMS:

sudo dscl . delete /Users/SonosDMS

3. Restart 10.13 Beta Installer