How to install macOS Sierra within a Parallels VM?

Hi

I am trying to install the 10.12 Developer Preview within a Parallels Virtual Machine (running Parallels 11.2.0 - latest release).

First approach was to build a 10.11 VM and then run the installer from within. Didn't work, installer became unresponsive.

Second approach: I followed this post (https://forums.developer.apple.com/message/143196#143196) to build a bootable diskimage with the installer on it.

So far so good. It is accepted by Parallels, however, it comes up with error messages 'Boot Failed. EFI Hard Drive, DVD/CDROM, PXE. DHCP', etc.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

LL

Replies

I followed these instructions with some modifiactions. Use Option 3

http://www.macworld.com/article/2367748/os-x/how-to-make-a-bootable-os-x-10-10-yosemite-install-drive.html

Change line the first terminal command to this: sudo hdiutil attach /Applications/Install\ 10.12\ Developer\ Preview.app/Contents/SharedSupport/InstallESD.dmg

Copying the Packages file takes quite a while, 30-40 minutes.

You can skip the last command, it just unmounts the disk.

After you complete the above, you have to use disk utility to create a new image from the OS X Base System Image. File > New Image > Image from "OS X Base System"

I already had a VM setup from trying to install the preview earlier. I opened the preverences and went to Hardware > CD/DVD and mounted the newly created disk image. Then went to boot order and made CD/DVD first.

Don't forget to change the bootorder back and to eject the disc after installation.

Let me know if you have any problems, I could probably just send you a link to download my PVM file.

Doesnt work for me either running Parallels. Maybe to early for automatic configuration for macOS Sierra in Parallels.

If you still haven't gotten it up, what you do is - in an El Cap VM - add an additional HDD. Install the Developer Preview to that VM - it won't work. Then you create a new VM and use that El Cap's HDD as the boot drive. It will pick up right where the install process left off.

There is a guide here: http://ranvel.com/macos

I found this in the Parallels blog:

http://blog.parallels.com/2016/06/16/macos-sierra-vm/

Basically the steps are:

1. Create a VM in Parallels with El Capitan or Yosemite

2. Download the macOS Sierra Beta 1 installer directly inside the virtual machine (don't copy it from the Finder).

3. Run the installer

I tried copying the installer from my host machine into the VM and it failed, apparently directly downloading it works.

OK, I tried several different avenues, none of which succeeded. In the meantime, Parallels posted this poston their blog, which describes a solution:

1. Take an El Capitan VM
  2. Dowload the 10.12 Preview directly from within the VM
  3. Install...

I am currently going through the install process and everything seems to be ok.

Hope this helps someone else.

LL

Hei, i´ve installed the Develeper Preview 12.10 into Parallels Version 11.2.0 (32581) without problems.

First build the installer: "sudo /Applications/Install\ 10.12\ Developer\ Preview.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/macOSSierra --applicationpath /Applications/Install\ 10.12\ Developer\ Preview.app --nointeraction"

(Volume macOSSierra is an USB-Stick)

Create a new VM in Paralells. Here you have to set "Select boot device at startup" in Paralells-VM-Hardware-Boot-Sequence.

Start the VM, select your USB-Stick as Bootdevice an install Sierra. It will takes some time....

regard

Ytre

Post not yet marked as solved Up vote reply of Ytre Down vote reply of Ytre

Just failed when I tried to build the installer to a local dmg file. I guess it has to be a usb key.

OK, finally I got the solution.

First, follow Ytre's answer to create a installer USB key (I think dmg file in virtual dvd will be fine either). Note that you have to check "Select boot device at startup" option in vm preference.

Start up the vm. In the boot menu, select your USB key (or dvd with dmg file). Then DO NOT select "<continue>"! You have to enter the boot maintaining settings (the last item in the menu), then select "boot from file". Now you manually navigate to the second partition on usb key and find boot efi file that is located on your USB key, and there you go.

---

Update: only works with a real usb-key. Virtual dvd with a dmg file does not work.

The USB key method worked for me.

The easiest way is to create VM using El-Capitan installer and then upgrade to Sierra. You can see my complete tutorial here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BiSSbxAA4oI

I struggled finding out what you guys meant with the boot menu and selecting the boot efi file before starting. So just to complete your answer:

The boot efi file is located under "Install macOS Sierra.app/.IABootFiles/boot.efi".

bruseanthonyAug 1, 2017 11:45 PM(

in response to MajinMaarshman)

how to do a clean install of 10.13 beta 4 on parallels 12

bruseanthonyJul 28, 2017 12:11 PM

open control center , under file click new . parllels wizard opens. new virtual machine tick installwindows or other OS from aDVD or image file,tick continue tick locate manually drag files from desktop. to locate files open contents on installer /locate shaired support file ,open copy ,past to desktop Base System dmg & Install EDS 09.46.14 dmg drag both files at the same time to wizard, continue, say yes to create hd .note: tweek hd later recovery option is loaded. select reinstall 10.13 beta 4. good to go .enjoy!