Main.storyboard is automatically modified when it's opened in Interface Builder after git pull

I'm working with a team of developers, coordinating via git.

For a while, as long as we were all using the same version of XCode, we were able to share Main.storyboard effectively.

However, in XCode 6.3 and 6.4, if I open Main.storyboard in Interface Builder after a git pull, without making any changes to it, XCode automatically makes many changes. This makes it difficult to share Main.storyboard via git - there were over 100 automatic changes.

We use auto layout constraints extensively. Some of the constraints specify relative heights and widths. We're all configured to use 'Any, Any' in Interface Builder.

The changes to the XML file that describes Main.storyboard are mostly in the sizes of frames - they differ by 0.5 to 1 pixel in one or two dimensions. Also, misplaced is set to 'yes' in many places.

Any idea how to fix or work around this issue?

Thanks!

Replies

Hi,

This is something I would like to know too, I generall just do a reset in git on all the storyboards unless I know I made a change, it's a pain so anyone with a better solution?

I'm experincing issues with this too and I'm using xcode Version 7.0.1 (7A1001). Did you ever find a solution to this problem other then always using git reset on the files you have not changed? It is a super annoying issue.

I have the same problem in xcode Version 7.0.1 (7A1001) 😟 any solution?

I can confirm this bug with Xcode Version 7.2.1 (7C1002). The following steps reproduce it too (i.e. it doesn't depend on a git operation):

1) Fix all misplaced views.

2) Close Xcode.

3) Delete derived data folder.

4) Open Xcode.

It looks like Xcode stores some settings of the storyboard in the derived data folder?!

It seems like there are at least 2 factors at play here:

1. IB incorrectly marks a document as modified ("dirty") when no user action has happened. This usually has to do with undo events being created when they should not be, and there are many things which can cause this, tracked in a number of related bugs. We are very aware that this is a persistent annoyance, and have plans to dedicate time to improve this.
  2. Editing a storyboard or xib is known to cause 0.5 pixel changes and misplacement when moving between retina and non-retina displays. This is tracked in radar://20175879, and exacerbated by point #1, since just opening a document often causes spurious edits.

Has rdar://20175879 been resolved, or is still open? The second bug you've listed is still impacting my team in Xcode 8.2

This bug still happens in XCode 11.1 (11A1027)

Hi,

I am also facing same issue, any solution?

Thanks in advance.