I do not see updates in app store

I have not been able to see updates to the 10.11 betas in the App Store. Any suggestions?

Accepted Reply

Given those two facts, I think I know what's happened. Before you download from the links below, try the following command in Terminal to fix a fairly common calalog problem. If it works for you then it's certainly preferable to having to continually having to update from links:

sudo softwareupdate --set-catalog https://swscan.apple.com/content/catalogs/others/index-10.11seed-10.11-10.10-10.9-mountainlion-lion-snowleopard-leopard.merged-1.sucatalog.gz

Replies

In case the catalog fix doesn't work, here are the download links for DP2

One thing that worries me about this is that apple seem to have removed the DP2 delta update from the sucatalog. So DP1 will no longer be able to see the DP2 update.

Hence apple should release a full installer for DP3 (or start doing something I have been begging for for years and start releasing DP combos).

Interesting that those links for DP2 are still working. But I maintain that DP2 has been removed from the sucatalog file and so DP1 will still not be able to see it. Then you are forced to use the direct links (at least for DP2).

Interesting... I can't test that presently, but now I'm going to download and save the packages just in case...

This is one reason why I prefer the direct links. You can easily save them on some external hard drive in the correct order for future use if necessary rather than having to redownload (if that is even possible).

It also makes it easier to install onto several computers.

It is good that you posted the terminal command to fix the mac app store issues, but I have other reasons not to download it via mac app store - even if it IS working.

Oooooh, now I'm curious as to what those reasons are... 😀

I was wondering one thing though, this is the second or third time (over the course of 10.10 and 10.11 being in beta, and my occasionally using the direct links) that I've noticed that there is an available firmware update that doesn't appear in the App Store.

I continue to assume that this is because the firmware updates are specific to certain Macs and that not every Mac needs every firmware update...

Anyway, I'd like to presume that firmware updates that are downloaded via direct link are smart enough not to make any changes on systems for which they are not required but, like I say, it does leave me wondering...

I wouldn't worry too much about the firmware updates. They have been coming out for every beta since 10.10.2 betas. They don't show up in the mac app store unless it is a standalone firmware update. But these beta ones just accompany each beta and download along with the delta if you do it via the mac app store. It just means that if you install via direct links, to just be sure to install the firmware update too.

But I get the impression that there is something very strange about all this. Why would apple remove the DP2 update from the sucatalog? Could it be that the DP3 update is really a combo allowing you to go from DP1 directly to DP3? I doubt that because then there should be a delta AND a combo in the sucatalog file. And there isn't.

There is a rumor going around that the first public beta will be released soon and so maybe apple will release a full installer for DP3. That might have something to do with it.

so i just did a fress install from scratch using the file available in the appstore - that is dp1 i believe, correct?

my app store now shows two updates, el capitan recovery update 1 and itunes 12.2, but now dp2 or dp3.

i tried running the script but makes no difference

to confirm, now I should download the dp2 files (three files) install them and then the dp3 files and install them?

Yes. I think you got DP1. If so you should get the direct links for DP2 Max108 put in the thread here and then update to DP3 either through the mac app store or via the links in this thread: https://forums.developer.apple.com/thread/8813

You are not seeing the DP updates from DP1 because DP2 has been removed from the sucatalog file for some weird reason.

The fact you are not seeing DP3 either confirms my belief that is isn't a combo.

In the past apple kept all the DP updates on the sucatalog right up till public release. That doesn't seem to be the case anymore, but that is going to cause considerable difficulty - like yours.

ok im crossing my fingers

If apple no longer will have all the DP delta updates in the sucatalog then they should either start releasing combos - or full installers for EVERY DP.

Thank you for that. I was able to use bash to softwareupdate --set-catalog ... but the only new item that showed up in my Updates section of the App Store was Affinity Designer. Earlier this morning I saw the DP3 link in my updates, but then it disappeared and I couldn't get it back. Tried deleting the Temporay Items appstore data, the Library/Updates data, and even restoring 10.11 DP1 from TM backup.

Makes sense. Is there evidence that this is the beginning of a pattern though? I'm looking at the sucatalog and can see that the only 10.11 reference is to the links you posted, so I see what you mean, but isn't it also possible that, in this case, DP3 doesn't need DP2 to precede it - in other words it's a combo - or, if that were the case, would naming conventions indicate that?

See answers to ivanpasic further down this thread - I think you'll find all you need to get you up to DP3 🙂

Thank you so much for this.