want to build my own vpn app

This thread has been locked by a moderator.

hi ,

its the first time for me to be here, so i wish i can some help about how to build my own vpn app,

i have some knowledge about Swift 3 ,

but i dont know from where to start,

i built my own vpn server , and its working well for several months , using l2tp ipsec ,

and manually i can connect by iphone and mac , and no problem for the server ,

thanks ,

Best regards,

medo

Up vote post of medo
18k views

Accepted Reply

You didn’t say what platform you’re working on so I’m going to assume iOS. Let me know if that’s wrong.

There are two basic approaches for building an iOS VPN app:

Within these basic options there are lots of degrees of freedom; a good place to get a high-level overview of how everything fits together is WWDC 2015 Session 717 What's New in Network Extension and VPN.

Note The end of that talk says that Network Extension providers require special entitlements. That restriction has since been lifted. See Network Extension Framework Entitlements for the latest.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!”
Apple Developer Relations, Developer Technical Support, Core OS/Hardware

let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@apple.com"

Replies

You didn’t say what platform you’re working on so I’m going to assume iOS. Let me know if that’s wrong.

There are two basic approaches for building an iOS VPN app:

Within these basic options there are lots of degrees of freedom; a good place to get a high-level overview of how everything fits together is WWDC 2015 Session 717 What's New in Network Extension and VPN.

Note The end of that talk says that Network Extension providers require special entitlements. That restriction has since been lifted. See Network Extension Framework Entitlements for the latest.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!”

Hekki Eskimo how are you , thanks for you help ,

yes i want to build the vpn app for IOS firstly im using swift 3, u can say im. anewbie just few months start to learn ,

does NEVPNManager to entitlements and pay for it? , for abeginner like me which way u prefer , u mention Network Extension framework’s provider architecture
this one more freedome , but for me i just built my own vpn server , L2tp protocol , i mean the easy to deal with of this 2 type ,

i wish u got my meaning ,

thanks alot for you time

does NEVPNManager to entitlements and pay for it?

I’m not sure I’ve understand your question here. I believe you’re asking about how you get the necessary entitlements to use these features. This breaks down as follows:

• Personal VPN — Xcode has direct support for this; see the Personal VPN section of Xcode’s Capabilities editor.

• Network Extension providers — These entitlements are available to all developers but they are not yet fully integrated into Xcode. My Network Extension Framework Entitlements post has the details.

As far as L2TP is concerned, iOS has a built-in L2TP VPN transport but its use is not encouraged, which is why you can’t set it up via the Personal VPN mechanism. There’s nothing stopping you from building your own L2TP transport via the Network Extension provider mechanism, but it’s probably not the best choice given that L2TP is clearly on the way out.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!”

thanks alot for your Brief explaination ,

so it mean i have to join Apple Developer Program members to start build my App , right?

so it mean i have to join Apple Developer Program members to start build my App , right?

Yes.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!”

kindly guide me i also stuck to develop vpn for ios i cant understand from where i start

i also stuck to develop vpn for ios

Please start a new thread for this (and if you can include some specific questions that’d be grand).

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!”

Hello, I have VPN app made in flutter. It's already published in Android Play store. I was thinking to publish in iOS store too. Can any one please tell me what are the terms needed to uploading my VPN app in apple store. I heard there is a new terms that apple has applied for VPN apps. Can any one guide please. Thank you

Can any one please tell me what are the terms needed to uploading my VPN app in apple store.

Please start a new thread for this, tagging it with NetworkExtension so that I see it.

Oh, and I’ve locked this thread because I don’t want it become a mega thread for all possible VPN questions.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!” @ Developer Technical Support @ Apple
let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@" + "apple.com"