Can't Leave Beta program / Uninstall Sierra beta.

How can I Leave the Beta program / Uninstall Sierra beta? I've tried the normal way and it doesn't work.

I'd rather not to a clean install. Perhaps installing over the beta will work? Anyone tried that?

These instructions don't work:

http://www.macworld.com/article/3128276/macs/how-to-stop-getting-beta-updates-for-macos-sierra.html

I can follow steps 1 thru 3, but the setting doesn't stick. If I quit and go back into System Preferences ... App Store, it shows “Your computer is set to receive beta software updates.” again.

Perhaps someone can point me to the pref file that needs editing/what a normal one looks like?

Accepted Reply

run this command in the Terminal…

sudo softwareupdate --clear-catalog

Replies

What the heck? It's been almost 48 hours and status is still,

"Please note: your content was added successfully, but a moderator needs to approve it before it can be posted."

s/not to/not do/

run this command in the Terminal…

sudo softwareupdate --clear-catalog

Hi Dial. Does one need to have a copy of the Sierra non-beta image in the startup folder? I rushed a bit without thinking and did not create a backup before installing beta. I am fine with dealing with the ups and downs of being in beta. I was just wondering what your thoughts are on this. (I know, I know).

My thought is the release of 10.12. 4 will be imminent so at this point, with no back up to restore from you might as well sit tight until the official release. The beta point releases are in general bug fixes so the beta versions of 10.12.4 should actually be better than the previous official releases.

There is a phrase, "if you have to ask, you can't afford it". As far as betas, "if you have to ask, you shouldn't install them". 😎

Success! Result: "Changed catalog to Apple production"! THANK YOU!

Beta installation is no longer prompted or offered.

Hopefully 10.12.4 will be out soon (IIRC it was up to beta 8 or so!) and install normally!

P.S. Yes, there is a phrase, "if you have to ask, you can't afford it", but it's hostile and obnoxious. As is Apple's recent decision to hide prices at Apple retail stores. I'm sure Apple doesn't buy stuff without knowing what it costs. Follow the golden rule, Apple! (Not that it's listening!)

FWIW, it wasn't meant to be "hostile and obnoxious". LOL

I was just trying to be funny. Unsuccessfully apparently. 😁

and… You're very welcome.