Cancel "Pending developer release"?

Hi,

I have an app that was approved and is "Pending developer release".

While we were waiting to release the app, someone found a bug that we'd like to fix.

Unfortunately, I can neither upload a new version of the app, nor create a new version in iTunes Connect (the option to add a new iOS version is disabled).

Is there any way to revoke the approved version without releasing it to the app store? I don't mind having to wait for Apple to review the updated version again.

Frank

Replies

Edited to happily defer to JP's recent example 😉

I have to disagree, KMT. I just did exactly this recently. I had version 1.0 of an app sitting there in Pending Developer Release for a few months; the client decided not to release it and we ended up releasing only 1.1. Sorry I can't recall the exact mouse clicks but I was able to reject the binary for 1.0, change the version to 1.1, then submit a 1.1 binary, without ever releasing 1.0 to the store.

Maybe it is still the same "version" (whatever internal ID they use to identify one build train) but after editing the user-visible version number, for practical purposes it is a new version.

I have the exact same issue. I just ran into this, followed the links and didn't find my answer.

I went back to the page for the version that is "Pending Developer Release" and at the top of the page there was a little notice saying that "you can only edit certain things...etc." following which it says "cancel this release". Tap the "cancel this release" hyperlink. That took care of it for me.

>followed the links and didn't find my answer.

Most likely due to the time since this thread first went up. Always use caution when checking old links.

Thanks for the followup and good luck in the store.

There is a big Cancel this release button on top.

Any penalties from Apple if this happens a couple of times? Like putting your app further down the queue to be tested?

I would like to know if this affects any future release review times too.

Here is a plugin I wrote to cancel or release reviewed app store version, might help for those who encounter the same situation.
you can call this plugin action before Deliver.
https://github.com/andrew54068/fastlane-plugin-taiwan_number_one

Surprisingly the "cancel this release" option is available only from the web portal https://appstoreconnect.apple.com . I could not see the same in App Store Connect App .