How to Connect iphone and non iOS device through wifi? is it possible by MultipeerConnectivity framework?

How to Connect iphone and non iOS device through wifi? is it possible by MultipeerConnectivity framework?

Replies

How to Connect iphone and non iOS device through wifi?

It’s hard to give a concrete answer without more details. Specifically, are you specifically concerned with peer-to-peer Wi-Fi? Or can you reasonably assume that the iPhone and your accessory are on the same infrastructure Wi-Fi?

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!”
Apple Developer Relations, Developer Technical Support, Core OS/Hardware

let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@apple.com"

Yes. I am specifially concerned with peer-to-peer Wifi. There is no wifi network.

Yes. I am specifially concerned with peer-to-peer Wifi.

Bummer. In that case you are, alas, out of luck. The on-the-wire protocol used by peer-to-peer Wi-Fi networking is not documented for third-party use, so this technique only works between Apple devices.

Note There’s actually two undocumented protocols, with documented ones sandwiched between:

• The high-level protocol used by Multipeer Connectivity is not documented for third-party use.

• Multipeer Connectivity works in terms of industry standard protocols (UDP, IP, DNS-SD, and mDNS). All of these have public APIs on Apple platforms and have a public specification that can be implemented by other platforms. Hence, the infrastructure Wi-Fi case is soluble.

• The binding between DNS-SD and peer-to-peer Wi-Fi (and, for that matter, peer-to-peer Bluetooth) is not documented for third-party use.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!”
Apple Developer Relations, Developer Technical Support, Core OS/Hardware

let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@apple.com"

I want to develop a hardware, that should be able to connect with iphone and share data,

Multipeer connectiviy not supported for non IOS and BLE is slow.

Then,What technology i can use here?

Thanks in advance,

Abdullah

So what's wrong with the hardware device called a "wifi access point" in your situation?

But, if you want to develop hardware that implements the peer-to-peer networking, I think about all you can really do is contact the MFi program people. They're probably going to tell the same thing that Eskimo has, but you can make your business case argument for what you want to do and why. I mean, that's how it works for software enhancement requests.

So what's wrong with the hardware device called a "wifi access point" in your situation?

How to do with wifi access point,Can u please explain?

Wifi Direct, basically the Android version, goes in and creates an access point to allow devices that don't support Wifi Direct to connect. iOS devices don't support Wifi Direct, for whatever combination of business reasons and competing standards, but can still connect to the access point putting you in the "so you've got an iOS device and a non-iOS device on the same wifi network" scenario.

So there is a bit of "The simplest way to communicate over wifi is for someone to bring along an access point" to the situation.