Xcode 8 Editing very slow

i downloaded the xcode Version 8.0 (8A218a) yesterday and my xcode editor became extremely slow. i can type in a complete line before i see anything on the screen and then the screen displays one character at a time at less than one character per second. the file i am editing i about 1.1 MB. this all worked perfectly before the update. i have tried a new file and copying my old file into it, but that didn't work. the current line highlighting is new as well.

thanks,

tom lindner

FILE:

kind: C Source

size: 1,090,739 bytes (1.1 MB on disk)

MAC:

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Early 2013)

2.8 GHz Intel Core i7

16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

Intel HD Graphics 4000 1536 MB

OS X El Capitan

Version 10.11.6 (15G1004)

Replies

I didn't have this problem until today. Last time I used Xcode was 5 days ago and it was running fine.

I can't believe this problem is still unresolved since September!

Very frustrating.

I'm running Xcode 8.2 (8C38), and I can confirm that there has been no fix. I can't even use Xcode anymore. I barely type anything, and all text turns white and autocomplete never shows up. I don't even know what to do at this point. :-(

I am facing same problem with my Xcode8.0. Its very difficult to code with such slow IDE.

just got the update to Version 8.2 (8C38) ... still not fixed

Facing the same issue with version 8.2 (8C38) - latest build of Xcode 7.x did not exibit this behavior. This is general across the board while editing either a source file or a interface builder file. Xcode becomes unresponsive for at least 5-10 minutes, then decides to allow one click, then hangs again for another 5-10 minutes. An endless loop.

[UPDATE]: Found out that by disabling "Use Trait Variations" on the XIB files the performance returned across both the source files and XIB files. Though this only happend after I watched my views "dance". Literally in real time the widgets in the parent view bounced back and forth within the viewable bounds for a minute. The most bizzare thing I have ever seen developing an interface.

[UPDATE]: Additional performance boost to almost no delay was setting "Top Bar" and "Bottom Bar" to "Inferred" rather than specifying an option. When anything other than "Inferred" was selected, Xcode came to a halt. This is definitely a bug within Xcode and degrades the IDE functionality.

Same issue here, Version 8.2.1 (8C1002). 30 Gigs free harddrive, 8 gigs Ram. It's taking upto a minute to identify a syntax error (typing fals instead of false for example). EXTREMELY painful to work with.

Upgraded from 7 last night, prior to the update I had no issues and had zero lag.

I have a similar issue, and found a solution on StackOverflow that seems to be working for me. (http://stackoverflow.com/questions/41455511/how-do-you-get-xcode8-to-respond-faster?noredirect=1#comment70117716_41455511) which is the Q/A I posted earlier today. In short, add a UserDefined Setting to your project as:

SWIFT_WHOLE_MODULE_OPTIMIZATION = YES

This gave me an immidiate solution to my lag issues. I can't explain the how or the why, but I'll take the fix so long as it doesn't revert back tomorrow!

Same thing here, Xcode 8.1. I have tried the following solutions:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/26151954/sourcekitservice-consumes-cpu-and-grinds-xcode-to-a-halt

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/41455511/how-do-you-get-xcode8-to-respond-faster?noredirect=1#comment70117716_41455511

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/36212368/xcode-7-3-is-excruciatingly-slow-when-loading-storyboard-ib

Macbook Air Early 2015, 80 GB free, 4GB RAM (But I don't have anything else opened when working). Bought new at the end of 2015. It's impossible to go from the swiftness and greatness of Xcode 7 to this miserable version. The XIB file I'm trying to open in Xcode 8 is simply frozen, I can't tap any button.

However, I confirm the "Top Bar", "Bottom Bar" bug! I switched to Inferred and the IB is smoother now. Still, the overall experience is quite bad, the lag is clearly visible from the previous versions.

I also have the same issue. My xCode is 8.2.1 (8C1002). It consumes too much time when compiling to device. But it s normal in simulator!

Same here! Why hasn't this been fixed yet..Apple come on!

Version 8.2.1 (8C1002) Xcode becomes very laggy after project build for both device/simulator.

Same problem - MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Early 2015) 2.7 GHz i5 8GB running Xcode Version 8.2.1 (8C1002)

Same problem - iMac (5k Late 2014) 4 GHz i7 32GB running Xcode Version 8.2.1 (8C1002)

bcallaha,

With a completely new machine, a 15" Touchbar MacBook Pro from late 2016, these are some of the issues i'm experiencing:

• Random errors when running on device (An unknown error occurred)
  • Debugger breakpoints on the wrong places, printing out statements is SLOWER than recompiling the entire product
  • Simply typing in the Xcode editor is slow. Each character comes with a few ms to a few 100 ms delay
  • Autocompletion is effectively useless seeing how slow it is
  • Xcode keeps recompiling not only the current target, but also its dependencies, even though no changes has been made
  • Xcode crashes randomly, and inconsistently several times per day
  • Scrolling through code is laggy, even on a low-resolution screen
  • Animation of opening and closing panels never exceed 2-5 fps
  • Xcode stating that devices are locked, when they in fact are not

I could go on forever about how the developer experience in Xcode has become so terrible, i sometimes feel like stop developing for iOS as it just keep going downhill. About filing a report on bugreport.apple.com – my radar about Simulator performance took months to even get a reply – i doubts that i will ever get a response on it.

Feeling quite pesimistic about the future of development on Apple platforms if you cannot even resolve issues regarding developer experience.

You're not even that responsive in the forums – sounds like the chain of communication up to the actual Xcode developers is broken.

I'm upset, especially since there are literally thousands of us who could help with the Xcode issues.

Just started having the same problem, like hitting a brick wall. The editor became unusable. Tried exiting xcode & restarting but slowness persists.

The slowness seems to be related to the length of the source code file. The editor is very slow when editing a .m file with about 6300 lines, but still responsive with source files of a few hundred lines. Will try splitting source into smaller files, but that may be difficult to do in some cases.

Model Name: MacBook Pro (late 2013)

Model Identifier: MacBookPro11,1

Memory: 8 GB

>Memory: 8 GB

I'd max that out in any case...