Captive Network Assistant Failing Sierra

Hi,

I've been having issues with the macOS Sierra Captive Network Assistant, failing to load a page.

Reading the console log it reports a TCP connection error 1:57, potentially related to this thread: Re: TIC Read Error 1:57

Looking at the console log the following series of errors appear:

error

11:50:51.118964 +0000

Captive Network Assistant

TIC Read Error [3:0x608000387ec0]: 1:57

11:50:51.119003 +0000

TIC TCP Conn Cancel [3:0x608000387ec0]

11:50:51.119083 +0000

TIC TCP Conn Destroyed [3:0x608000387ec0]

error

11:50:51.119189 +0000

HTTP load failed (error code: -1005 [4:-4])

error

11:50:51.119237 +0000

NSURLConnection finished with error - code -1005

Following that it reports that NSURLConnection finished with error code -1005 which a little searching reveals means "The network connection was lost.".

The end result is an error message displayed to the user "A problem occurred" in the CNA dialog.

If I watch the exchange with the webserver in Wireshark I see nothing unusual, the request is made, content returned and connection closed with a FIN from both client and server.

I've found a few other references to the dialog I've seen in the forum: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7802525?start=0&tstart=0

My only solution at the moment is to whitelist the address that the CNA uses to detect the presence of the portal, disabling it - which isn't ideal from a usability point of view.

Could anyone shed any light on what I'm seeing?

Thanks,

Phil

Replies

Could anyone shed any light on what I'm seeing?

If I’m reading this correctly, this problem shows up with just the base system installed; that is, you’re not actually writing any code (you’re definitely not writing a hotspot helper app, because this is macOS, which doesn’t support NEHotspotHelper). If so, this seems like a bug to me, and I recommend that you file it as such.

Please post your bug number, just for the record.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!”
Apple Developer Relations, Developer Technical Support, Core OS/Hardware

let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@apple.com"

Hi Quinn,

Thanks for the reply.

I had a go at reproducing the issue on a few other Macs with no luck.

In order to close this thread off nicely, I have found my culprit.

It turns out that our IT department had helpfully installed Cisco's AnyConnect suite for me to use our VPN.

With the Cisco daemons running during the connection process the issue described above occurs.

If they're disabled all is well and the portal loads correctly.

Bug report averted :-)

Thanks,

Phil