rvictl not found on OS X 10.12.2, Xcode 8.2

Tried reinstall Xcode and then install the command line tools, but so far no luck.

Anyone can help confirm this tool is still there for Xcode 8.2?

Thanks

Replies

Is there a reason you're not using Xcodd 8.2.1 and it's matching CLI tools?

rvictl
is not part of the base OS. Nor is it part of the command line tools package. Rather,
rvictl
is installed when you first launch Xcode, along with the latest version of MobileDevice framework, as part of Xcode’s ‘install additional components’ mechanism.

So, questions:

• Have you checked whether

rvictl
    is present? You should find it at the path
    /usr/bin/rvictl
    . It’d be tragic to waste time debugging an installation problem if you actually have a path problem.
  • When you ran Xcode, did it go through the ‘install additional components’ step?

Note You can uncover the installer package for this stuff within Xcode itself, at the paths:

• Xcode.app/Contents/Resources/Packages/MobileDevice.pkg
  • Xcode.app/Contents/Resources/Packages/MobileDeviceDevelopment.pkg

If you pull apart the latter (I use Pacifist for this sort of thing; it’s way cool), you’ll see it installs

/usr/bin/rvictl
, along with the necessary support components.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!”
Apple Developer Relations, Developer Technical Support, Core OS/Hardware

let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@apple.com"

eskimo, my path is correct. I manually installed the MobileDeviceDevelopment.pkg again and it solved my problem. Many thanks 🙂

hi, i'm trying to monitor my iphone's network traffic, so i learned about rvictl, but it's not working on my mac, i googled how to fix it, and find this article

my case would be like this:

run rvictl -s 7BE4CC2772E3D50174C49xxxxxx gives nothing, no error nor output, just nothing

leideMacBook-Air:~ Jack$ rvictl -s 7BE4CC2772E3D50174C49ABEXXXXX

leideMacBook-Air:~ Jack$

then with rvictl -l, it also gives nothing useful

leideMacBook-Air:~ Jack$ rvictl -l

Could not get list of devices

leideMacBook-Air:~ Jack$

so i tried to reinstall those 2 pkgs, and rvictl gives nothing, still nothing

any other way to fix it ?

or is it my iphone's prolem? should my iphone be jailbreak or in debug/development mode?

xcode 8.2.1

macos 10.12.3

iphone ios 10.2.1

i'm in china, looking forward for help, thanks.

i'm trying to monitor my iphone's network traffic, so i learned about rvictl, but it's not working on my mac

wljackhero let me know via email that they got around this by running

rvictl
with
sudo
. Which is weird, because that shouldn’t be necessary, even if you’re a non-admin user. I’m not sure why that’s the case on their specific machine but, regardless, it’s a useful gotcha to watch out for.

@wljackhero, You should definitely file a bug about this. Please post your bug number, just for the record.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!”
Apple Developer Relations, Developer Technical Support, Core OS/Hardware

let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@apple.com"

The reason is UDID must be entered in lower case otherwise device wouldn't be mounted!