if error != nil {
                print(error)
                return
            }
        }

Replies

‘Ambiguous reference’ errors like this one have two common causes:

• You’re actually referring to something ambiguously

• You have some other error in your code that’s thrown the compiler for a loop to the point where it generates this error incorrectly.

In this case I believe you’re suffering from the latter. I’ve seen similar problems when dealing with errors inside closures.

Alas, I can’t point out the exact error because, when I put your code inside a small test project here in my office, it doesn’t generate the same error. There’s clearly something context-specific in play here.

My general approach for tracking down such errors is to comment out the code within the closure to get things compiling. I then selectively uncomment code until I trigger the error.

Alternatively, you can move the code from the closure out of its current context into a more vanilla context, fix the error, and then move it back.

Regardless, once you track down the actual error it would be a good idea to file a bug about the poor diagnostic. Please post your bug number, just for the record.

Finally, just FYI, line 2 of your snippet would be better server by an

if let
:
URLSession.shared.dataTask(with: url) { (data, response, error) in 
    if let error = error { 
…

That way, inside the

if
statement, you can access
error
as a non-optional.

This isn’t the source of you ‘ambiguous reference’ problem, but it’s a good idea to fix it anyway.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!”
Apple Developer Relations, Developer Technical Support, Core OS/Hardware

let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@apple.com"