xcode 8.2.1 func webview ?

I started a cocoa swift storyboard app for osx. After looking at some videos n such nearly every time I see override or just func webView(...), but as I type this in it doesn't show anything. Has this been removed ?

I started out trying to make a progress indicator but as mentioned following a tutorial doesn't help. In help documentation I always get lost because there are no examples, it referes to WebViewProgressStarted but I have no idea about notifications, I'm a newbie to programming.

In a ViewController I have a text field and webview (app trans set to arbitrary), using webview load works fine to load an url but is there a way to get the full url of the page being loaded to replace the text field ? To acompany this when I click a link within a page to get the url into the text field.

Accepted Reply

This thread has been deleted

If I insert a web view object "WebKit View" and link outlet to ViewController, it wants to be WebView not WKWebView.

You cannot add a WKWebView via Interface Builder. You have to construct it in code. This is a long-standing bug that we’re tracking as (r. 16729039). So, the WebKit View shown by IB yields the not-deprecated-but-not-preferred WebView. You can continue using WebView if you like, but I generally recommend WKWebView instead.

Adopting WKWebView means constructing the view in code. In my experience that’s not too tricky. Here’s the code I use to do it in iOS:

override func loadView() {
    let config = WKWebViewConfiguration()
    let webView = WKWebView(frame: CGRect.zero, configuration: config)
    webView.navigationDelegate = self
    self.view = webView
}

I expect that the macOS version will be very similar (assuming you’re using a view controller).

Once you decide on a web view, post back with a status update on your original problem and we can try to help out from there.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!”
Apple Developer Relations, Developer Technical Support, Core OS/Hardware

let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@apple.com"

Replies

>xcode 8.2.1 func webview

WKWebView may be your friend now. WebView (legacy) is also still allowed w/macOS, but it depends on your usage, I think.

WebKitView (view object) = Webview

WKWebView (view object) = WKWebView

Which of the below examples would you say applies to your use case:

WebView

WebView
is the core view class in the WebKit framework that manages interactions between the
WebFrame
and
WebFrameView
classes. To embed web content in your application, you just create a
WebView
object, attach it to a window, and send a
load(_:)
message to its main frame.

-=-

WKWebView

A

WKWebView
object displays interactive web content, such as for an in-app browser. You can use the
WKWebView
class to embed web content in your app. To do so, create a WKWebView object, set it as the view, and send it a request to load web content.