Objective-C and Swift frameworks with same classes

Hi, I am working on my diploma where i am comparing Swift 3 with Objective-C. So i make two my own frameworks which one is named obj and second one is called swt. obj framework is containig Objective-C classes and swt is containing Swift classes. And there is my problem both frameworks are containing Person class.

So i want in my code call something like

let swtPerson = swt.Person()
let objPerson = obj.Person()

But when i make class "Person" in swt framework public then i can't use "Person" class from obj framework due to message "No type named Person in module obj".

When i remove public from class "Person" in swt framework then i can use "Person" class from obj framework without error but i cannot use "Person" class from swt framework anymore.

I search for the answer why is this happening, but i can't anything useful. Maybe it's caused somehow by Swift itself which is in someway overlaps Objective-C class "Person" from obj framework.

Replies

I’m not 100% sure why you’re seeing the error you’re seeing. However, I have a big picture comment. You wrote:

I am working on my diploma where i am comparing Swift 3 with Objective-C.

Given that the goạl is to compare the two languages, why are you naming the classes the same? In Objective-C classes use a prefix (

NS
for Foundation and AppKit,
UI
for UIKit, and so on) to prevent name collisions. If you’re doing a side-by-side comparison of the two languages, it would make sense to use the ‘native’ conventions of each language, which means the Objective-C
Person
should be
AZPerson
, right?

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!”
Apple Developer Relations, Developer Technical Support, Core OS/Hardware

let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@apple.com"

Well i fixed it by placing

@objc(SWTPerson)
public class Person

in swt framework. Now it's all working how i expected. But can someone explain why is this behaviour happening, please ?