Has anyone got &app=messages iTunes URL query parameter to work?

Documentation says that adding &app=messages to an iTunes product page URL should open to the associated iMessage App. In my tests, it seems to have noe effect. It opens to the container app screen shots, and Install->open opens the container app. Has anyone got this to work?

Accepted Reply

Well, if you post the link on a webpage it works as stated. If you test the link on your phone, it should open the iMessage store within Messages. If you're just testing on your computer its going to open iTunes.

If you're posting the link within an app though, you need to use the StoreKit framework to open the link.

Replies

Well, if you post the link on a webpage it works as stated. If you test the link on your phone, it should open the iMessage store within Messages. If you're just testing on your computer its going to open iTunes.

If you're posting the link within an app though, you need to use the StoreKit framework to open the link.

You're right. I had tested by opening the link within iOS e-mail, and that does not work. However, opening within safari does work, first getting permission to launch Messages app, then going to the App Store. I guess putting in a Facebook ad is probably not going to work.

Depends on where they view the ad. If its from their phone, you're good. Worst case though it just opens up in the regular app store.

I tested the Facebook ads, and the only way I could get to the iMessage App Store was to put an ordinary URL in the ad, and then have that redirect the user to iTunes. If I try to use an iTunes URL in the ad, Facebook recognizes it as App Install add, and then skips passing through Safari, which is necessary to get the app=messages to work. The problem with the redirect is it triggers warning about leaving Facebook, which you don't see on a normal App Install ad, and that could make users suspicious, especially as they bounce from URL to iMessage to iMessage app store.

Problem with opening in regular app store is the whole point of my iMessage extension was to provide a more gradual introduction to the app, in a familiar, simplified context. That was supposed have some moderate appeal, and then eventually they would segue to the more powerful main app. If they are already using the main app, then I can't really see that the iMessage extension offers much additional utility. So, it is looking like kind of an wasted effort to build.

I have a thought that perhaps the main app launch can say something like "We recommend you try our iMessage App first." If they say okay, then route them over to iMessage. Going to look into how to do that. Possibly, I can route them back to the App Store entry with the app=messages parameter, and since already installed, they can just hit open.