Cannot Start VPN Tunnel NEVPNErrorDomain Code=1

Hi , I have issue when starting VPN tunnel. My code load and save preference fine,

Also I can see the profile that being created from my app in Setting->General->VPN. However when i try to run "self.targetManager.connection.startVPNTunnel()", it give me NEVPNErrorDomain Code=1

This is my code

self.targetManager.loadFromPreferencesWithCompletionHandler { error in

let newManager = NETunnelProviderManager()
    newManager.localizedDescription = "CustomVPN"
    newManager.protocolConfiguration = NETunnelProviderProtocol()
    newManager.protocolConfiguration?.serverAddress = "***.***.***.***"
    newManager.enabled = true

self.targetManager = newManager

self.targetManager.saveToPreferencesWithCompletionHandler{ error in
    //Handle error or success
    if (error == nil) {
          if self.targetManager.connection.status == .Disconnected || self.targetManager.connection.status == .Invalid {
                do {
                      NSLog("Try To Connect")
                      try self.targetManager.connection.startVPNTunnel()
                } catch {
                      NSLog("Failed to start vpn: \(error)")
                }
          } else {
                NSLog("Try To Disconnect")
                self.targetManager.connection.stopVPNTunnel()
          }
    }
    }
}

Thanks in advance

Replies

The codes for

NEVPNErrorDomain
are defined in
<NetworkExtension/NEVPNManager.h>
. This error, 1, is
NEVPNErrorConfigurationInvalid

When you get this error does anything show up in the iOS device’s system log?

Share and Enjoy

Quinn "The Eskimo!"
Apple Developer Relations, Developer Technical Support, Core OS/Hardware

let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@apple.com"

Thanks for reply, Yea, I read about configuration invalid from header, but I am not sure what is wrong, cause I use same VPNManager configuration from Simple Tunnel sample code.

I can connect to server if I turn on VPN manually from Setting but not automatically from my app

This is the code for my startTunnel function

let endpoint: NWHostEndpoint = NWHostEndpoint(hostname: "***.***.***.***", port: "xxxx")

connection = provider.createUDPSessionToEndpoint(endpoint, fromEndpoint: nil)

let options: NSKeyValueObservingOptions=[.Initial, .New];
connection!.addObserver(self, forKeyPath: "state", options: options, context: &connection)

This is the error that i get from device

Nov 16 10:52:34 iPhone-5C nesessionmanager[262] <Notice>: Failed to load configuration with ID <__NSConcreteUUID 0x16e728f0> 6D5CA841-6726-4F41-98F4-E4A9C65231A1

Nov 16 10:52:34 iPhone-5C nesessionmanager[262] <Notice>: Failed to create a session with type 1 and configuration ID <__NSConcreteUUID 0x16e728f0> 6D5CA841-6726-4F41-98F4-E4A9C65231A1

Nov 16 10:52:34 iPhone-5C configd[30] <Notice>: network changed

Nov 13 09:27:47 iPhone-5C <Warning>: Failed to start vpn: Error Domain=NEVPNErrorDomain Code=1 "(null)"

Nov 13 09:27:47 iPhone-5C nesessionmanager[262] <Notice>: NESMVPNSession[xxxxxx]: status changed to disconnecting

Nov 13 09:27:47 iPhone-5C nesessionmanager[262] <Notice>: NESMVPNSession[xxxxxx]: status changed to invalid, last stop reason Configuration was removed

Nov 13 09:27:47 iPhone-5C nesessionmanager[262] <Notice>: NESMVPNSession[xxxxxx]: status changed to invalid, last stop reason Configuration was removed

Nov 13 09:27:47 iPhone-5C configd[30] <Notice>: network changed

i get the same error if i am trying to start VPN using startVPNTunnel() after calling saveToPreferencesWithCompletionHandler(). I am using simpleTunnel app

Is there a catch here ? Looks like some timing issue. connection.status is returning Invalid

it works if i do it via Settings..

- Naveen

i get the same error if i am trying to start VPN using

startVPNTunnel()
after calling
saveToPreferencesWithCompletionHandler()

I know this sounds weird but have you tried saving twice? I haven’t looked at this from the packet tunnel provider side of things, but when dealing with Personal VPN I’ve noticed that the NEVPNConnection status doesn’t update on my first save (r. 23114999)-:

Share and Enjoy

Quinn "The Eskimo!"
Apple Developer Relations, Developer Technical Support, Core OS/Hardware

let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@apple.com"

I too face the same problem as adriansy andpncboseadriansy.

startVPNTunnelAndReturnError call returns NEVPNErrorConfigurationInvalid error if I try to use it after saveToPreferencesWithCompletionHandler. Is there any update on this?

Thanks

Thank you so much, saving twice working for me! I had problem only on the first app start. Bun when i try to saveToPreferencesWithCompletionHandler twice VPN start connecting!

Thx! Saving twice also works for me!

But there is an another problem.... After using NEVPNManager and NEVPNProtocolIPSec to configure and save twice preferences succesfully, VPN- start triggered by button clicking, I also get a error message in console, like this:

2016-09-28 16:28:42.162701 testVPN[1692:422941] Start error: The operation couldn’t be completed. (NEVPNErrorDomain error 2.)

Then I fix the error by selecting the "testVPN" manually in Setting->General->VPN, because I have one more Personal VPNs... -. -

http://upload-images.jianshu.io/upload_images/935058-98d9d8b14b9a943f.png?imageMogr2/auto-orient/strip%7CimageView2/2/w/1240

So, how should I do for selecting "testVPN" automatically instead manually ? The user experience is terrible...

And then I found that the "VPN Master" hasn't the problem above.

Calling loadFromPreferences again right after saveToPreferences and starting the connection after load completion will fix the issue. It's as idiotic as it may sound.

Does this issue still exsist or was it fixed in one of the recent os versions?

@eskimo Is this fixed in say iOS 15+?

It would be great to know if any new apps still need to save the configuration twice, or can remove the ugly workaround.

Thx!

NEVPNManager.shared().isEnabled = true

Faced this problem. It helps me)