Swift 3 Check Two times against each other help

Hi,

I'm trying to compare two times against each other for a checkTimer method. I've got the functionality right, it's the 24 hour issue that's causing a problem.

The functionality should be that if the current time is greater than the userDefault time then return true. The Bug exists where it's the next day. Am I better comparing two dates against each other or is there a simpler way.

My method

func checkTimer() -> Bool {

let time = Int(currentTime())!

print(time)

let storedTime = Int(UserDefaults.standard.integer(forKey: "LastAccessTime"))

if time >= storedTime {
            print("Enough time has passed \(storedTime)")
            return true
        }

print("Not enough time has passed \(storedTime)")
        return false

}

func currentTime() -> String {
        let currentTime = Date()
        let formatter = DateFormatter()
        formatter.dateFormat = "Hmm"
        let time = formatter.string(from: currentTime)
        return "\(time)"
    }

Thanks!

Replies

You have to be more explicit about what you want — "time" is too ambiguous.

A Date value is actually a date/time. If you want to compare the current date/time with the date/time at which something was last accessed, you should use the Date values, and not try to convert to strings or Ints. (Note: You can store a Date value in user defaults.) Such Date values are independent of time zone, daylight savings time, etc.

If you mean a time of day, for example if you want to make a new backup of a file every day at a certain time, you're going to have to work a bit harder to deal with time zones, etc.

If you mean a time of day, for example if you want to make a new backup of a file every day at a certain time, you're going to have to work a bit harder to deal with time zones, etc.

Which we covered over in this thread.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!”
Apple Developer Relations, Developer Technical Support, Core OS/Hardware

let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@apple.com"

Hey,

Essentially I wish to minimise an API call to 1 hour intervals. If an hour has passed then allow the API call.

Hey,

I thought out the time process again and came to a much simpler way. I'm getting the current time from Date so this should solve any time issues. If the device travels back in time then I will catch it by < 1 hour period.

Thanks

So let's try a simpler version of your function:

func checkTimer() -> Bool { 
     let time = Date () 
     print(time) 
     if let storedTime = UserDefaults.standard.object(forKey: "LastAccessTime")) as? Date, time >= storedTime { 
          print("Enough time has passed \(storedTime)") 
          return true 
     } 
     print("Not enough time has passed \(storedTime)") 
     return false 
}

Note that I've used an "if let" construct to check if the last access time exists in user defaults, and a Swift 3 "if ***, YYY {…}" construct to test for both conditions *** (last access time exists) and YYY (it's in the past) simultaneously.

Is this the functionality you're looking for?

Maybe the Timer class will help - https://developer.apple.com/reference/foundation/timer