Verify final result code for the complete build operation

Hello everybody.

My Xcode build/tests kept failing with this error:

Verify final result code for completed build operation

Build operation failed without specifying any errors. Individual build tasks may have failed for unknown reasons.

One possible cause is if there are too many (possibly zombie) processes; in this case, rebooting may fix the problem.

Some individual build task failures (up to 12) may be listed below.

I reproduce it like this:

1. Clean everything, clean build folder, delete derived data

2. Restart the mac

3. run tests -> success

4. build -> failed with this error

From now on I cannot compile anymore until I clean the project again.

I read all posts on StackOverflow and tried everything that they said with no luck.

There's one comment that scares me a bit:

"Having too many files and folders in the directory or sub-directories of where the project or workspace is located can cause this error."

So, my question is: is it possible that an Xcode project reaches some kind of limit? e.g. in terms of number of source code files, or anything else I don't know.

Please let me know, this is blocking my work.

Replies

How's the free space on your drive?

Hi giuseppe.morana

Did you find solution for this issue?

We have simular case when path to project files too long and build phase "Compile Sources" has more 1500 swift files, if project move to more short path - compiler work correctly.

But we have xcode server and bot do source checkout automatically to directory with long path, so we seek solution for this issue. (((

I was having the same issue when trying to build/run tests using xcodebuild from command line. This is a project with over 2000 swift files.

Going on your suggestion I moved it to a much shorter path "/tmp/x" and it worked fine.

rdar://33635183

It was really a time killer issue. I rebased the complete code base to a collegue's mac where it worked fine. After sparing more than a couple of morning hours I could find a solution.

Solution - Simply shorten your Project folder name (in mac).

This is undoubtedly irritating that its suggested to have longer and meaningful variable names but the folder name has to be this concise.

We are faced with this problem too. It works fine by movinig the project to a shorter path. But...is there a way we could find the actual "limit" is there is really one on the length of file path, on Mac OS?

Hi All,

We are also facing same problem here. We have a huge project with around 3900 files in Build Phases > Compile sources.

Whenever we faces this Zombie error, we used to shorten the file paths and project is maintained at the root directory in order to shorten file path and it was working. But its all temporary solution. Now we reached to a level where nothing else works and we need to have permanent solution to the same.

Possible reason is, maximum limit on number files by Xcode. Only then this probelm can occur.

Any solution please suggest.

XCode version : 9.4.1

MAC OS Version : 10.13.6

Error:

Verify final result code for completed build operation

Build operation failed without specifying any errors. Individual build tasks may have failed for unknown reasons.

One possible cause is if there are too many (possibly zombie) processes; in this case, rebooting may fix the problem.

This happens occur when the total path length is too long.

change the folder name or location of directory, shorter then before.

Maybe you can try to change build system to the new build system