Is it possible to attach the Web Inspector to the Captive Portal Assistant Dropdown?

I'm working on a Captive Portal web sheet for a client and I have a number of questions regarding the html I'm returning to device to display in the captive portal websheet.

Is it possible to register the captive portal assistant (or some app) on my mac and get the web inspector to attach to the websheet?

That would make it easy to debug and tweak performance on the websheet.

Thanks,

Michael Croft

Replies

I don’t know of any special magic to enable this. If the standard approach doesn’t work (and I presume you tried that before posting), my recommendation is that you file an enhancement request for a way to enable this.

Please post your bug number, just for the record.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!”
Apple Developer Relations, Developer Technical Support, Core OS/Hardware

let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@apple.com"

I made a few stabs at the bundle identifier, but I don't know if I used the wrong one or if it doesn't work.

So, yes I tried, but I don't know if I tried well...

I made a few stabs at the bundle identifier, but I don't know if I used the wrong one or if it doesn't work.

I’m confused as to why the bundle identifier would matter. My understanding is that web views that you can ‘connect to’ show up in the Develop menu in Safari. If the web sheets now showing up there, how else might you connect to it?

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!”
Apple Developer Relations, Developer Technical Support, Core OS/Hardware

let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@apple.com"

Sorry, I was looking at the docs here https://developer.apple.com/library/content/documentation/AppleApplications/Conceptual/Safari_Developer_Guide/GettingStarted/GettingStarted.html

Since it didn't show up under the menu, this was my best guess to enable it. Reading further on the iOS section of that guide, that doesn't seem likely and I will follow your advice and enter an enhancement request.

WebKit-based Apps

To enable the developer tools in a WebKit-based application other than Safari, enter the following into the Terminal:

defaults write com.bundle.identifier WebKitDeveloperExtras -bool true

Replace

com.bundle.identifier
with the bundle identifier of your app, and then launch your app. Web Inspector can now be accessed by a Control-click or right-click from within any web view. You must also enable contextual menus in your app.