2 Replies
      Latest reply: Jul 12, 2017 11:40 PM by mayoff RSS
      actionman Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Hello there,

I am trying to use the photos framework from within a XCTestCase because I dont want to verify that an asset gets saved to the user's photo library when they tap on a button in our app. But app is crashing when I run the test. I did NSPhotoLibraryUsageDescription to my test target's plist but it looks like thats not the right place to add it. Here is the error I am seeing in the console:

XCTRunner[25404:8392034] [access] This app has crashed because it attempted to access privacy-sensitive data without a usage description.  The app's Info.plist must contain an NSPhotoLibraryUsageDescription key with a string value explaining to the user how the app uses this data.

So it looks like I need to add NSPhotoLibraryUsageDescription to XCTRunner's plist but how do I do that? Is there an alternative?

thanks,

-Akshay

• Re: Can't use the Photos framework from within XCTestCase
          eskimo Apple Staff Apple Staff (7,005 points)

It sounds like you’re creating a library test when you should be creating an app testTesting with Xcode explains that terminology.  A library test is run by Xcode infrastructure and you can’t tweak its Info.plist.  An app test, OTOH, is run within your app, and that gives you control over the Info.plist.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!”
          Apple Developer Relations, Developer Technical Support, Core OS/Hardware
          let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@apple.com"

• Re: Can't use the Photos framework from within XCTestCase
            mayoff Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Perhaps you're trying to access the photo library from a UI test.

Xcode doesn't provide a built-in way to modify the test runner app's Info.plist. (Your UI test bundle has an Info.plist but your UI test bundle is not the main bundle.)

I was able to hack it using a Run Script build phase.

Find your UI test bundle target in your project and go to its Build Phases tab. Add a Run Script build phase. Here's the script:

set -x -e
            /usr/libexec/PlistBuddy -c 'Delete :NSPhotoLibraryUsageDescription' $CODESIGNING_FOLDER_PATH/Info.plist || true
            /usr/libexec/PlistBuddy -c 'Add :NSPhotoLibraryUsageDescription string Testing' $CODESIGNING_FOLDER_PATH/Info.plist

This worked for me in Xcode 9 beta 3. I don't know if it works in older Xcodes, and it's quite possible that it won't work in future versions.