Swift 3 (Xcode Version 8.2.1): Program stopping at nonexistent breakpoint

I have been trying to run my app on another person's iPhone (and I have run it before on this person's phone without any issues before). However, this time when I ran the program on their phone, I was getting this error:

Thread 1: EXC_BREAKPOINT (code=1, subcode=0x10004830c)

every time my program executed a certain line. It also once warned me that it failed to send the k packet. When I run it on my phone, I have no issues. I have made sure to delete all breakpoints, and I have even used lldb to make sure there are no breakpoints - and there aren't. This is what it says when I ask for a list of all breakpoints and delete all breakpoints:

(lldb) breakpoint list
No breakpoints currently set.
(lldb) breakpoint delete
error: No breakpoints exist to be deleted.

Due to feedback and other information, I have consolidated that this issue is probably not related to breakpoints, but rather it is a crash. I have restarted this person's phone a few times, and that didn't change anything. I have also tried commenting the line out and rewriting it underneath it but that didn't help either. I have searched for other posts with the same issue, but most are for java and other languages, and the ones for Swift either don't work for me or are confusing. I realised that maybe the problem has something to do with the newer 64bit devices. My phone (which my program works on, and is a 32bit) is an iPhone 5C. The other devices which my program doesn't work on are an iPad 2 and iPhone 6S (which are 64bit). Thanks for all help.

Replies

EXC_BREAKPOINT
is raised when the processor hits a breakpoint instruction. These instructions are used by the debugger’s breakpoint mechanism but they can also be used by code (either your code or framework code) to signal a failure. For example, this Objective-C code:
CFRelease(NULL);

will trap with

EXC_BREAKPOINT
because Core Foundation’s runtime system explicitly detects the error and runs a breakpoint instruction.

As to what’s happening with your app, you’re going to have to look at the backtrace of the stack to see where this breakpoint instruction is coming from. The easiest way to do that is to enter the backtrace (

bt
) command into the debugger console.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!”
Apple Developer Relations, Developer Technical Support, Core OS/Hardware

let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@apple.com"