Is this a legitimate comparison?

I am learning Swift, and still learning the basics. I am learning about comparison operators and how they can be used to compare tuples. I am having trouble understanding this code:

(1, "zebra") < (2, "apple")   // true because 1 is less than 2; "zebra" and "apple" are not compared
(3, "apple") < (3, "bird")    // true because 3 is equal to 3, and "apple" is less than "bird"
(4, "dog") == (4, "dog")      // true because 4 is equal to 4, and "dog" is equal to "dog"

And here's the text that comes after this code :

In the example above, you can see the left-to-right comparison behavior on the first line. Because 1 is less than 2, (1, "zebra") is considered less than (2, "apple"), regardless of any other values in the tuples. It doesn’t matter that "zebra" isn’t less than "apple", because the comparison is already determined by the tuples’ first elements. However, when the tuples’ first elements are the same, their second elements are compared—this is what happens on the second and third line.

My question is, why does apple equal less than bird in line 2? Is this an actual comparison? Or is this just a figurative comparison? Becuase when I run this code in my playground it still evaluates to True.

Thank you so much,

Kian

Accepted Reply

My question is, why does apple equal less than bird in line 2? Is this an actual comparison?

Yes. Swift’s

String
type conforms to the
Comparable
protocol by implementing a default comparison function.

IMPORTANT Be aware that this default comparison function is not international friendly. For example:

print("apple" < "bird")    // prints `true`
print("apple" < "Bird")    // prints `false`

In most case when dealing with user-visible strings you’ll want to use use

localizedCaseInsensitiveCompare(_:)
. For example:
print("\("apple".localizedCaseInsensitiveCompare("bird") == .orderedAscending)")
print("\("apple".localizedCaseInsensitiveCompare("Bird") == .orderedAscending)")

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!”
Apple Developer Relations, Developer Technical Support, Core OS/Hardware

let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@apple.com"

Replies

My question is, why does apple equal less than bird in line 2? Is this an actual comparison?

Yes. Swift’s

String
type conforms to the
Comparable
protocol by implementing a default comparison function.

IMPORTANT Be aware that this default comparison function is not international friendly. For example:

print("apple" < "bird")    // prints `true`
print("apple" < "Bird")    // prints `false`

In most case when dealing with user-visible strings you’ll want to use use

localizedCaseInsensitiveCompare(_:)
. For example:
print("\("apple".localizedCaseInsensitiveCompare("bird") == .orderedAscending)")
print("\("apple".localizedCaseInsensitiveCompare("Bird") == .orderedAscending)")

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!”
Apple Developer Relations, Developer Technical Support, Core OS/Hardware

let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@apple.com"

Thank you so much! I was super confused on this one, didn't realize it was ordered lexicographically!