vpn and background apps

Hello,

I want to direct all the traffic from my app (but not other apps) to my vpn server. I tested Personal VPN but it can not handle the case when there is some background app (like music streaming or Google Maps) running as the traffic from background app will also be routed to my vpn server.

Now for per-app VPN, I just wonder if this will be the same case - that is, the traffic from unrelated background running app will be mixed with that from my app to the vpn server. If so, is there any way to distinguish the traffic? Further more, do we have to use MDM for the recognition?

Thanks!

Replies

Now for per-app VPN, I just wonder if this will be the same case …

No. Per-app VPN catches traffic at a different level within the networking stack and will only ‘see’ the traffic of the targeted apps.

Further more, do we have to use MDM for the recognition?

Yes. Per-app VPN requires you to associate installed app with the VPNUUID of your VPN configuration, which you can only do via MDM commands (at least on iOS-based platforms).

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!”
Apple Developer Relations, Developer Technical Support, Core OS/Hardware

let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@apple.com"

Many thanks for the clarification!

One more question:

For the SimpleTunnel sample, if I want to use it, I need to use with MDM, rite?

Thanks!

For the SimpleTunnel sample, if I want to use it, I need to use with MDM, rite?

Not in general. Only per-app VPN requires MDM, and even that only requires MDM for deployment. For testing you can use the

NETestAppMapping
feature, as discussed in the Testing Per-App VPN section of the NETunnelProviderManager class reference.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!”
Apple Developer Relations, Developer Technical Support, Core OS/Hardware

let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@apple.com"