USB Devices Not Recognising After Sierra Beta 2 Install

Immediately after install of second Sierra Beta install, no external USB devices are being recognised. Late 2012 MacBook Pro with two USB3.0 ports.

Seems the devices are found in under System Report/Information through 'About this Mac' and are shown as receiving power output from the MacBook (also device power LEDs are lit, but do not show in Finder and are not accessible in anyway. Non-powered USB devices are also not being recognised.

Have tried an SMC Reset and also a NVRAM reset as suggested in various forum threads but still nothing working. MacBook also has an SD Card port and this works fine when a card is inserted. Also tried basic system restarts and shut downs with and without devices plugged in.

All help much appreciated as this bug makes it difficult to do quite a lot of things...

Replies

Nope, you won't lose anything. I just did this with two of mine and it worked perfectly! I'm on a late-2013 MBP.

Same problem, Both my WD will not mount via USB 2.

Ive just purchase a new Mac, to replace my old 3.1Pro, and 3 days in already problems.

Spoke to Apple support on Sunday, No help at all. I was asked if I'd format one on the drives. NO! these are mirrors of 10years of photos, that I cannot access.

Not happy.

A workaround for this is to use image capture that is preinstalled. Just import your stuff from there

All my seagate drives working after installing new driver thanks

I have had this same problem repeatedly on my MBPro, 13" Retina Early 2015 (purchased mid-2016) since it was new.

I've tried several brands of USB 3.0 hubs, presumably with different USB HBA silicon inside. I've moved devices around the ports, and verified that devices work when plugged directly into one of the two MBPro's own USB SS ports. I've reset the NVRAM/PRAM and SMC. No avail. And to make it worse, the machine won't boot when the hub (and various devices) is plugged in--I have to yank the USB cable. (I've swapped all the devices around to see if it makes a diff: nope.)

But...I noticed that one of my external HDDs ALWAYS is recognized, no matter what port it's plugged into on whatever hub I'm using. It is a universal 3.5" HDD case into which I've added an HDD. It has a monster power supply and I have wondered if maybe the powered 8-port and 4-port hubs I've been using simply can't source enough power for all the devices. Note: my external HDDs (Seagate, various years and sizes) are powered HDDs with their own PSUs, not the bus-powered 2.5-inchers.

I added another powered hub in between the MBPro and the original hub (daisy-chained) and voila! problem solved. All drives and peripherals recognized. Haven't tried this long, but I'm guessing that this is a power-related problem. Dividing the loads (external HDDs) between two hubs seems to work, albeit--adds latency to data transfers. Not a problem for slow-speed stuff and archive drives. We'll see.

This completely solved the issue for me. Thanks.

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Late 2013)

macOS Sierra Version 10.12 Beta (16A312a)

Hi everybody,

I came across this thread looking for answers about my iPhone rapidly connecting/reconnecting when I plug into my MacBook Pro (mid 2015) right USB Port. I've tried a couple different (official Apple) cables, too. At first I thought I just had a bum port but then noticed it started working after a subsequent beta release of 10.12.1, but then another beta release later and I started having this issue again. I've noticed when I plug an external drive into that port, too, that it doesn't show as being connected in macOS but the drive's light repeatedly flickers. I'm using a 2TB WD Passport drive (USB 3.0).

Just wondering if anyone that's having this issue with their drives not connecting are having problems with other devices not connecting (like your iPhone). I'm thinking it might be some kind of driver issue? Not sure. Hoping to have a little more to stand on for when I eventually take the laptop to an Apple store to have them look into it in case I do have a bum port.

This helped! Plugged in a powered USB hub to plug the HD into and the disk connected and mounted.

Many Thanks!

OK this worked,

my macbook pro wasnt reading my external dvd brner. so i instead ran the dvd drive through my external monitor's upstream, and it recognized it. seems to be a power issue as mentioned.

Almost all USB connections work, though my old machine does not have USB 3. Early 2011 MBP/Sierra 10.12.4

Never had USB problems (direct or through powered hub), EXCEPT

Canon camera. My PC / W10 does communicate with the Camwera. The cam is old enough not to have WiFi.

This worked in combination with an SMC shut down.
Now even my Tech Tool emergency disk is performing correctly.
iMac Late 2013 27"
Sierra 10.12.4

"shift, ctrl cmd(option) + power"

Is this

shift, ctrl cmd + power, or

shift, ctrl, option + power, or

shift, ctrl, cmd, option + power, or

shift, ctrl, (cmd or option) + power

???