3 Replies
      Latest reply: Feb 7, 2017 12:32 AM by roee84 RSS
      roee84 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

When I'm trying to close the tunnel at my MacOS VPN app, I can see the error

Error Domain=NETunnelProviderErrorDomain Code=3 "The request to set/clear the tunnel network settings failed." UserInfo={NSLocalizedDescription=The request to set/clear the tunnel network settings failed.

Why does it happening? And how can I prevent it?

Edit:

In case I got    stopTunnelWithReason, do I still need to try and close the tunnel? or is it already done by the system?

• Re: PacketTunnelProvider - setTunnelNetworkSettings error
          eskimo Apple Staff Apple Staff (7,960 points)

You should have a look at the system log; most errors like this log some details about the underlying cause.  If necessary, you can enable extra logging using the instructions on the Bug Reporting > Profiles and Logs page.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!”
          Apple Developer Relations, Developer Technical Support, Core OS/Hardware
          let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@apple.com"

• Re: PacketTunnelProvider - setTunnelNetworkSettings error
              roee84 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Those are some relevant msgs I get from the extra logging:

NESMVPNSession: Request to clear network agent from all interfaces
              nesessionmanager NESMVPNSession: Removed network agent from utun2
              Extension: Calling stopTunnelWithReason because: Stop command received
              Extension: provider set tunnel configuration to (null)
              nesessionmanager NESMVPNSession in state NESMVPNSessionStateStopping: plugin disconnecting, ignoring clear configuration request
              Extension: IPC detached
              Extension: Calling stop completion handler with error (null)
              nesessionmanager NESMVPNSession in state NESMVPNSessionStateStopping: plugin NEVPNTunnelPlugin did detach from IPC
              Extension: disposing
              neagent: Handling didSetTunnelConfiguration Reply ERR Error Domain=NETunnelProviderErrorDomain Code=3 "The request to set/clear the tunnel network settings failed." UserInfo={NSLocalizedDescription=The request to set/clear the tunnel network settings failed.}
              Extension:Calling completeRequest
              SIOCGIFMTU failed: Device not configured
              NEVirtualInterfaceAdjustReadBufferSize: interface_get_mtu failed (6), defaulting to max mtu

So is it OK to guess that after calling stopTunnelWithReason there is no need to clear the tunnel settings ?