8 Replies
      Latest reply: Jan 12, 2017 12:56 AM by jljl789@icloud.comjljl789@iclo RSS
      imneo Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Hope my scenario is not weird. Here is the description:

1. User runs my app.

2. User hides my app completely (all windows are hidden) so that he/she has no way to accessing the app. (Dont' ask why, user requested this feature and I want to implement it.)

3. Now user rerun my app and I want to use XPC to tell the running instance to show itself.

It sounds very reasonable and I have done most of code. But it is blocked by macOS the system. It seems macOS controls only one instnace of an app can be running at the same time; second try to run the same app (in /Applications) simply does nothing - the app code does not even get executed so that my code in main.m won't have the change to communicate with XPC.

I believe there must be a way to overcome this. Any suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks and Merry Xmas!

• Re: How to activate app's running instance
          pmills Level 2 Level 2 (35 points)

I would expect your running app to get app delegate callbacks for applicationDidUnhide or applicationDidBecomeActive (or both).  Do you implement those?

eskimo Apple Staff Apple Staff (6,665 points)

2. User hides my app completely (all windows are hidden) so that he/she has no way to accessing the app.

Does your app show up in the Dock?

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!”
            Apple Developer Relations, Developer Technical Support, Core OS/Hardware
            let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@apple.com"

Oh, I forgot to mention this. I hide all windows completely from dock using a method like below:

+ (BOOL)hideWindowFromDock:(NSWindow *)window
                {
                    if ([NSApp activationPolicy] != NSApplicationActivationPolicyProhibited)
                    {
                        [NSApp setActivationPolicy:NSApplicationActivationPolicyProhibited];
                    }
                    [window setIsVisible:NO];
                    return YES;
                }

KMT Level 8 Level 8 (8,020 points)

>User hides my app completely (all windows are hidden) so that he/she has no way to accessing the app.

Even via cmd-tab? Or Apple logo/recent items?

Cmd-TAB will not show my app because I hide windows by setting NSApplicationActivationPolicyProhibited (hiding from dock).

When I said 'no way to access my app' I mean by means of interactive UI, not recent items. The user is always able to 'access' my app in /Applications. But that's not the key to my problem.

Maybe my English is not good engough to express that I want. But anyway I wil l put it in another way. What I want is simple - I want to bring back app's UI after user requested hiding all of them.