4 Replies
      Latest reply: Dec 20, 2016 4:24 AM by pazwant RSS
      pazwant Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Hello,

What can be the best way of detecting if the app process on iOS is attached to a debugger?( the known ways ptrace() and sysctl() are banned after ios9 so not a solution anymore)

Cheers,

Ap

• Re: About Debugger detection
          eskimo Apple Staff Apple Staff (6,270 points)

What can be the best way of detecting if the app process on iOS is attached to a debugger?

Why do you need to know this?

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!”
          Apple Developer Relations, Developer Technical Support, Core OS/Hardware
          let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@apple.com"

it is one of the additional protection layer in the concept of self defensive apps view altough has a low likelihood..In past it was possible by using ptrace however the method was banned.. So i am looking for an alternative..

eskimo Apple Staff Apple Staff (6,270 points)

it is one of the additional protection layer in the concept of self defensive apps …

OK.  I don’t have any suggestions on that front.  Trying to do your own protection like this is pointless IMO.  If the attacker controls the environment such that they can attach with a debugger, they can easily disable any check that you might implement.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!”
                  Apple Developer Relations, Developer Technical Support, Core OS/Hardware
                  let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@apple.com"

yea but we are talking about detective controls and the "easily disable" part depends how you implement it. It is a long story but , as i understood after ios 9 it is quite difficult  to implement this feature unless you design some heuristic aproach rather than using syscalls..

Cheers,

Ap