Connect Wi-Fi by app

Hi, I'm developing an industrial application that uses iPads to communicate with industrial assets. In the begining of the shift, it is necessary to connect to the data server in order to select the equipmentin in wich the operator will work on. After selected, it is necessary to disconnect from this wi-fi and to connect to the specific equipment's wi-fi. We are trying to figure out how programmatically it is, that is:

- When operator needs to upload / download data from server, he'll indicate it on the app and the connection should be done.

- When operator needs to connect to the equipment, he'll indicate it and the connection should happen. The data server will provide the SSID and password.

Is there a way to do this wi-fi swap by coding, without jealbreaking the iPad?

Replies

After selected, it is necessary to disconnect from this wi-fi and to connect to the specific equipment's wi-fi.

There’s no supported way to do this. iOS has very limited Wi-Fi APIs available to app developers. For a summary of what is available, see QA1942 iOS Wi-Fi Management APIs. Alas, none of them meet your requirements.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!”
Apple Developer Relations, Developer Technical Support, Core OS/Hardware

let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@apple.com"

All right,

Just to be more clear, on android development it's possible to implement the above strategy like described on link http://stackoverflow.com/questions/8818290/how-do-i-connect-to-a-specific-wi-fi-network-in-android-programmatically .This kind of programming it's not allowed for iOS apps development?

Sorry to be exhaustive but this is an important requirement for my app.

Thanks

Just to be absolutely clear, are you saying that on Android, when an Android/Google Engr. tells you there is no supported way to do what you describe, such a clear response means it _is_ possible, but only if you repeat the question?

This kind of programming it's not allowed for iOS apps development?

I’m not familiar with Android APIs, so I can’t help you map from Android APIs to iOS APIs, however, in terms of required behaviours, you wrote:

… it is necessary to disconnect from this wi-fi and to connect to the specific equipment's wi-fi.

to which I responded:

There’s no supported way to do this.

which seems pretty clear to me (-:

client suspect I'm not telling him the truth about these limitations.

You should point them at QA1942 and they can do their own evaluation.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!”
Apple Developer Relations, Developer Technical Support, Core OS/Hardware

let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@apple.com"