How to track in-app purchase conversions?

Let's say a user touches one of my ads and installs my app. Great, I see it in the search ads console as a conversion.

But how can I tell if that user makes an in-app purchase?

Is there some event my app can report up to apple to signal this?

thanks

Accepted Reply

Yes you can, with the Search Ads Attribution API.

See my other post: https://forums.developer.apple.com/thread/64464

Although you need to log it yourself, Apple doesn't do this.

When an IAP is made, we request this attribution data.

We log the IAP event incl. the attribution data, which might be:

• unavailable, due to Limited Ad Tracking
  • Not via Search Ads installation
  • name of the Search Ads campaign

We use Fabric Answers Event to log the IAP and put the Search Ads data in the custom event data.

This will be nicely (and real-time ➕) shown in the Fabric dashboard.

Replies

Yes you can, with the Search Ads Attribution API.

See my other post: https://forums.developer.apple.com/thread/64464

Although you need to log it yourself, Apple doesn't do this.

When an IAP is made, we request this attribution data.

We log the IAP event incl. the attribution data, which might be:

• unavailable, due to Limited Ad Tracking
  • Not via Search Ads installation
  • name of the Search Ads campaign

We use Fabric Answers Event to log the IAP and put the Search Ads data in the custom event data.

This will be nicely (and real-time ➕) shown in the Fabric dashboard.

It will be best for the majority of advertisers (i.e. the indies that Apple is supposedly targeting) if Apple pulls search ads data directly into the campaigns tab in ITC as well so you don't need to set this up.

-Gabe

Hi Martijn,

Thanks for that! Just wanted to check where could we see the data about how many users installed the app and made a purchase? Can't seem to see anything from the App Analytics section of iTunesConnect.

Harmeet

+1

The Kitemetrics service implements the Apple Search Ads Attribution API to track In-App Purchases so you don't have to do it yourself. It includes a CocoaPod and reports that are viewable and downloadable via its web interface.

Hey!

For the 2021 stack, you need your own webserver to manage Apple's server2server events and link them to a user ID.
So you match user ID with the original transaction ID on the device, send it to the server and then match it with Apple events.
Or you can use 3rd party solutions that do all this job for you such as Adapty.io