2 Replies
      Latest reply: Dec 11, 2016 1:58 PM by eskimo RSS
      lxrocks Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

I was hoping there was a functional design or overview document for Siri that describes how it works and what resources it requires.

From what I understand, but perhaps someone can confirm, for Siri or Dictation to work, the mac has to have Internet Connectivity to reach backend voice processing servers?

I am researching a voice controlled application running in a remote region with only store and forward capability no real time internet access.

That said, what are the local / stand alone capabilities of siri or dictation, can someone point me to any interesting documentation. 

Are there any 3rd party libraries/frameworks that are alternatives.

• Re: How does Siri on macOS work?
          KMT Level 8 Level 8 (6,905 points)

SiriKit is restricted to a limited number of uses cases.

The docs do not mention macOS.

• Re: How does Siri on macOS work?
            eskimo Apple Staff Apple Staff (6,005 points)

I was hoping there was a functional design or overview document for Siri that describes how it works and what resources it requires.

AFAIK such a document does not exist.  However, if your primary concern is offline processing, that’s pretty easy to test: turn off your Mac’s networking and see how far you get with Siri.

Are there any 3rd party libraries/frameworks that are alternatives.

There are various third-party speak recognition libraries out there — some of which require the Internet and some of which don’t — but I don’t have any experience with them so I can’t make a concrete recommendation.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!”
            Apple Developer Relations, Developer Technical Support, Core OS/Hardware
            let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@apple.com"