Hotspot Helper subtitle goes yellow

What does it mean when the subtitle which the hotspot helper places under an SSID in the WiFi setting page turns yellow.

It looks like it could mean that there is more than one helper registered for that SSID - i.e. a conflict?

Anyone else experienced this and worked out the full meaning?

Accepted Reply

What does it mean when the subtitle which the hotspot helper places under an SSID in the WiFi setting page turns yellow.

Is that yellow? Or orange? It would help if you posted a screen shot.

IMPORTANT DevForums does not currently let you post images (r. 22028729). You will have to post the image to some image hosting service and then post a URL. That URL will require moderation approval but I can take care of that.

The subtitle turns orange if the interface has a self-assigned IP address or no gateway address.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!”
Apple Developer Relations, Developer Technical Support, Core OS/Hardware

let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@apple.com"

Replies

Is that yellow? Or orange? It would help if you posted a screen shot.

IMPORTANT DevForums does not currently let you post images (r. 22028729). You will have to post the image to some image hosting service and then post a URL. That URL will require moderation approval but I can take care of that.

The subtitle turns orange if the interface has a self-assigned IP address or no gateway address.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!”

Thanks. That helps.

I wasn't sure of the color as I had only seen it briefly until now, but now I can re-create the orange subtitle above. I probably did not see a yellow subtitle.

Further investigation, now knowing the root cause and replicating through causing a DHCP fault, shows that the reason I only saw it flicker is:

1. I disrupt the DHCP for one network which my Hotspot helper claimed. The subtitle is Orange

2. I change the network to another which my Hostpot Helper has also claimed and the subtitle is also orange for a short while until iOS decides the network is fine, at which point it turns to black.

What probably happened in previous tests is I connected to one claimed network which had a DHCP issue but did not notice. Then moved out of range and changed to cellular. Then when I was watching it authenticate to another claimed network, I saw the orange flicker. Not a serious point but did raise a question of why.

Related though, if the network which has a DHCP problem is claimed then the WiFi settings page shows the orange subtitle indicating my app is responsible for it but it remains in an unconnected state - the check mark to the left of the SSID is there but no Wi-Fi symbol in status bar. There is a Wi-Fi with exclamation by the SSID in settings though.

The Hostpot Helper does not get a command so cannot do anything to fail the network or advise the user of an issue. I guess it is confusing to the user to see something managed by an app but not working. It would have been good to get a command informing of the broken DHCP and give the option for the helper to advise the user?

It would have been good to get a command informing of the broken DHCP and give the option for the helper to advise the user?

Notwithstanding the question mark, I believe you intended to make an enhancement request here. Please do, and post your bug number, just for the record.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!”

Enhancement filed: 29436909