Help making a app bundle in Xcode from Jar.

I am struggling to make a Mac App Bundle from my Java Jar file. I was told a few weeks ago that the only way to sign my Java application (Jar) to work on the latest OSX release was to join Apple Developer, build an App Bundle from my Jar. And get a certificate from Apple to install. Aquiring the certificate is the easy part.

What I can't figure out is how to build the Bundle and Apple's instructions are so out of date it's frustrating. (At least 10 years old.) It seems I JarBundler App is no longer distributed from Apple. There is some mysterious instructions to make the Bundle in Xode descirbed on one help page but I can't even figure out where to start. (I haven't written a development level code on Mac's in years.) I can find 3rd party jarbundler application that can be run through ant, but I can't get any of the example code to run. I could make the Bundle by hand but that will be difficult to mantain.

Anyone have a clue? I thought I'd try on the developer forums.

P.S. I am using Java 8. My app not be released through the App Store. (It's a application only for our registered customers.)

Replies

What I can't figure out is how to build the Bundle and Apple's instructions are so out of date …

Indeed. Back in the day Apple used to independently ship Java developer tools for the Mac. Any Java documentation you find on the Apple developer web site is referring to these tools and, as such, is way out of day.

A while back (in the 10.7 timeframe?) Apple stopped shipping Java tools and support for this transitioned to Oracle. If you’re looking for up-to-date information about how to integrate Java into a Mac app, you should follow their instructions.

Unfortunately I can’t give you a reference because it’s not something I have recent experience with. It’s possible someone else might chime in. If not, you’ll need to pursue this via Oracle’s support resources.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!”
Apple Developer Relations, Developer Technical Support, Core OS/Hardware

let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@apple.com"

I do have the link to the Oracle support resources. This requires writing an ant script. The documentation I can find about this is just as confusing, and the examples out there don't work.

I had seen Apple documentation stating that I should be able to build this through XCode, but not explanations as to howd