xcode 8 works slowly with breakpoint

I have updated my Xcode to version 8.0, but it will take a long time to show me the line where the breakpoint is set.

Replies

Same here XCode 8 and 8.1 breakpoints are messed up specially for class methods with completion handler, step into puts you into a assembly code with send_msg on top and when you want to setp out of that it runs the code forgetting about debugging.

Some time when it wants to stop at a breakpoint it stops at the prevois breakpoint on which you left.

I have to go back to XCode 7.3.1 to get some work done.

Please use "Report Bug" at the bottom of this page and if you include a sample project that shows the problem it will greatly cut down on the back and forth to figure out the issue and fix it.

Thanks!

Is your project Objective-C or Swift?

Could you show us a backtrace? If you don't want to show here, please file a bug report and let me know the bug number.

I'm having the same problem. My project is Objective-C. It takes a long time to stop everey break points.

Hmm, we have not seen this problem in our testing and own development. How long is the wait? Are you debugging to the watch, phone or Mac?

It takes almost 10 seconds. I am debugging to iPhone6+ 8.1.2 (12B440)

But it's okay with iPhone6S 10.0.2

I had to update to iOS10. and it makes it fast.

Still very slow with Xcode 8.1 here, and only with iOS 8(.4) on iPhone 5, iOS 10 is good, don't have an iOS 9 device to test. WIll try with Xcode 8.2b2 and report.

EDIT: still an issue with Xcode 8.2 beta 2 build 8C30a. At least 8 secs to wait before the UI refreshes and the lddb input is available after hitting a breakpoint

Me too, Both simlator and iPhone 6 device. With XCode 8.0

Me too, debugging becomes painfully slow/unusable in a very large project (macOS) under 10.12 Xcode 8.1 AND Xcode 7.3.1.

I also notice that the whole system slows down when Xcode stands at a breakpoint.

A step-over takes about a second, you can watch the call-stack outline view updating during that.

Same issues on a collegues machine.

Same project worked fine/normal under 10.11

Same issue here with xcode 8.1 and 8.2 beta. I actually migrated everything from a previous macbook with el captain which had 0 issues with xcode debugging to the new macbook pro touch bar with sierra. So all the setup is the same except the os and the computer. This has been doing it since I have been using the new macbook pro.

I _really_ hope somebody @ Apple is listening to this thread; two log-messages occurr very often while standing @ breakpoint/stepping:

Dec  6 16:32:45 mt-wentz com.apple.debugserver-@(#)PROGRAM:debugserver  PROJECT:debugserver-350.0.21.9
  [63683]: 28 +0.000261 sec [f8c3/0307]: error: ::mach_vm_region_recurse ( task = 0x1303, address => 0x6e69740000000000, size => 0, nesting_depth => 1024, info => 0x7fff5d3f3b74, infoCnt => 12) addr = 0x6e69740000000000  err = (os/kern) invalid address (0x00000001)

and:

Dec  6 16:32:47 mt-wentz com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.nowplayingtouchui): Service only ran for 0 seconds. Pushing respawn out by 10 seconds.

During step-over I can watch the debug-navigator outline rearrange: The list rearranges, moving the thread I am in to top of the list during stepping and go back again. Even in Activity Monitor I can see a CPU spike from Xcode during step-over.

I attached Instruments to 'All Processes' during a short debug session: In 40sec I stepped over 6 times and printed description 3 times:

Xcode consumed 7.36 sec CPU time, mostly on main-Thread

http://imgur.com/ZydKdyS

In case somebody is interested in the Instruments File, please contact me!

I really hope somebody @ Apple is listening to this thread …

I’m reading it but I don’t have any specific insight. The best way to make sure this info gets seen by the LLDB engineering team is to put it in a bug report

Please post your bug number, just for the record.

In case somebody is interested in the Instruments File, please contact me!

Yeah, exactly that sort of information (-:

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!”
Apple Developer Relations, Developer Technical Support, Core OS/Hardware

let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@apple.com"

I am glad you are listening!

I have just filed 29550844 with traces included, hope that helps.

Yeah we're seeing the same problem as well. Moving our (rather large) xcode project, objc/c++ hybrid, from Xcode7.3.1 to Xcode 8.2b (8C30a on El Capitan) has resulted in debug stepping of 10 secs or so _per_step_. Which basically means we cannot upgrade to Xcode 8 for our current codebase.

It would appear that the time is being taken trying to update the variables view per step (the spinner in the variables view spins for 10 secs per step). Hiding the variables view solves the problem (stepping now almost instantaneous) but then the point of having a variables view during debugging is lost. This used to be better (not instantaneous, but <2 secs per step) in Xcode 7.3.1.

Darren.

I do have the impression that debugging works fine on the Main Thread and slows down on background-threads. Can anybody confirm this?