1 Reply
      Latest reply: Nov 23, 2016 1:37 AM by eskimo RSS
      ptba Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

I cannot find any documentation regarding this, and even though it makes kind of sense, I find it hard to understand the reasoning behind the difference between the background/default session configurations.

Consider this playground code:

import Foundation
        import PlaygroundSupport

let config = URLSessionConfiguration.background(withIdentifier: "test")
        var urlSession = URLSession(configuration: config)
        let taskOne = urlSession.dataTask(with: URL(string: "url-one")!) // No resume
        let taskTwo = urlSession.dataTask(with: URL(string: "url-two")!) // No resume
        let taskThree = urlSession.dataTask(with: URL(string: "url-three")!) // Resume
        taskThree.resume()
        urlSession.getAllTasks { tasks in
            let count = tasks.count
        }
        PlaygroundPage.current.needsIndefiniteExecution = true

Line 11 prints 3 when using a background session configuration, and 1 when using the default one.

How come?

This is not the specific case I'm seeing in my code, but this example illustrates the difference that caused an automatic resume bug for me.

• Re: Tasks created kept in background url session
          eskimo Apple Staff Apple Staff (7,550 points)

Line 11 prints 3 when using a background session configuration, and 1 when using the default one.

I’d call that a bug.  Feel free to file it as such.  Please post your bug number, just for the record.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!”
          Apple Developer Relations, Developer Technical Support, Core OS/Hardware
          let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@apple.com"