Xcode 8 Sierra Codesigning is a Disaster

We have a Mac app in the app store. Upgrading to XCode 8 and Sierra has been a complete disaster. Couldn't get it to codesign. Tried some suggested remedies and apparently trashed our keychain. "Automatic" does absolutely nothing. Also found that "Reset" = "Revoke", not "Reload" -- How about some consistent nomenclature? Apple certificates web site shows nothing about "Revoke", although we did get an email.

Instructions in Documentation are archaic and have no relevance to current screens.

I never understood any of this stuff anyway, even though it worked in the past. Now I'm really lost. Surely, there has to be a better way.

The operation couldn’t be completed. Unable to log in with account 'XXXXXXXX'. The login details for account 'XXXXXXXX' were rejected.

No signing certificate "Mac Development" found: No "Mac Development" signing certificate matching team ID "XXXXXXX" with a private key was found.

(XXXXXXX substituted here)

Replies

The error message indicates that there is a problem with one of your accounts. Please visit the Accounts tab of Xcode's Preferences and update the credentials for the account in question. If that doesn't fix the issue, please file a bug report at bugreporter.apple.com. Thanks!

Ok, this is one of the problems i have with this entire process -- I don't know what you mean by "update the credentials for the account". I need specifics. If I go to that tab and open the account, I get a list of IDs and profiles, some of whish have a "reset" button which doesn't "reset" anything, but revokes the item. Then what? There is a complete lack of consistent nomenclature here, leading to obfuscation of the issue. I have a multitude of items listed from years of fighting with this stuff. In the past, I have attempted enough things to eventually get something to work. and now it is a mess which I don't know how to cleanup. I now have seven apps out there, all of which need some level of updating, but this system/XCode update cycle has thrown me a curve ball. I'm sure part of the problem is my own lack of understanding of the entire precess, but I need to slog through this and get back to useful production.

"All indications are that the bug is related to Sierra, rather than XCode. That was inferred from a reply to a previous post of mine when trying to respond to DTS on another bug I had reported running prior to Sierra beta. https://forums.developer.apple.com/message/148344#148344.

The error I have been getting is "resource fork, Finder information, or similar detritus not allowed" Googling that phrase has led me to various post blaming the message on images, icons, etc. which do or did contain resource forks and have such an attribute. Example: https://forums.developer.apple.com/thread/48905.

So far, I've removed such attributes from numerous icons, etc, but still have a few cursors which don't clear as easily, so I can' be sure yet if this completely fixes it. I'll report back here if I do fix it.

Later: Cursors were in a subfolder. After applying fix, it appears that the issue is now resolved.

This has happened to me as well

Yes, this was helpful for me too but it is a piety we had to ask experts. Why not understandable error messages instead? E.g.:

The operation couldn’t be completed. Unable to log in with account. Please go to the Accounts tab of Xcode's Preferences and check the credentials.

I already had a similar problem in the past and each time I had to spend a lot of time to find the solution.

The next step for me is to understand why, after an upgrade to Sierra, xCode gives me hundreds of warnings and says:

xxxxx is automatically signed for development, but a conflicting code signing identity 3rd Party Mac Developer Application has been manually specified. Set the code signing identity value to "Mac Developer" in the build settings editor, or switch to manual signing in the project editor.

Here the message is more detailed but not relevant since the signing identity is correctly set.

Did you find a fix? I just posted this https://forums.developer.apple.com/message/194564#194564

Our private key, cert & provisioning profile were created in August. Zero issues. Now Testflight is expired and I cannot create a new build.. !