2 Replies
      Latest reply: Nov 8, 2016 9:02 AM by NachoDev RSS
      NachoDev Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Good afternoon,

I'm investigating whether there is an access framework to measure different variables such as:

- Light Detector: Natural Intrinsic Differences between (outdoor) and man-made (indoor) light

- Cellular Module: Cellular Signal strength varies Between indoor and outdoor (dividing walls)

- Magnetism Sensor: Intensity of Magnetic Field varies due to presence of electrical appliances.

On the other hand I was seeing that there is IOKit framework for access to all / some of these values, but it seems this is not a public library Xcode.

My questions are:

1- Is there a native iOS framework that allows me to measure these values?

2- IOKit Allows access to these values? If it's true, you can update IOKit so that whenever upload an app to store validation problems me not to use a private library?

Thank you very much

• Re: Access to ligth detector and others sensors
          eskimo Apple Staff Apple Staff (6,310 points)

I presume you’re talking about iOS here; if not, let me know what platform you’re working on.

1- Is there a native iOS framework that allows me to measure these values?

No.  To break things down:

• Light Detector

There are no public APIs for accessing the ambient light sensor.

• Cellular Module

There are no public APIs for getting cellular signal strength.

• Magnetism Sensor

Information from the magnetometer is available indirectly via Core Location and Core Motion, but there’s no direct access to sensor values.

2- IOKit Allows access to these values?

As you’re aware, I/O Kit is not a public API on iOS, and thus this is not an appropriate topic for discussion on DevForums.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!”
          Apple Developer Relations, Developer Technical Support, Core OS/Hardware
          let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@apple.com"