Sierra beta 4 running high cpu Usage

MBPr, 13 inch, mid 2014

Sierra beta 4 is running the fans constantly, even with no open applications. Highest prcesses are bird, cloudd, calendarAgent, and calendarNCservice. normal fan levels are around 1400-1500 rpm but these processes cause the fans to spin between 3000-4000 rpm, with the CPU spiking over 70 degrees celcius.

Tried a clean install then attempted to load a backup, encountered the same issue, and then attempted to go at the issue with a clean install. Even tried creating a new user without icloud and the services were still performing out of respectable reange. Restored back to El Cap and the issue resolved. I know it must have to do with icloud drive. any fix for this?

Replies

I installed the official macOS Sierra, and have the same problem.

So I googled it, and found someone said it's analyzing all the photos you have, such as faces, locations...

Thinking of the new photo features in Sierra, this makes sense, think it will calm down when it completes its job.

Yes...had similar experience. Changing Flash setting in Safari preferences>Security>Plugin Settings>Adobe Flash Player>When visiting other websites to "allow" stopped the CPU run up.

Open Photos app.

Choose People tab.

Check out the number of photos to be processed and wait.

Same with me for Photos. The only thing that's working is (in Activity Monitor) force quit BOTH the photoanalysisd AND The photolibraryd processes FAST. If I click "force quit" for both fast enough, they go away. FYI even though in the photo app is says it will resume facial recognition ONLY when you close the app AND are connected to power, it lies. Also, IF there were a button to "pause facial recognition" process, that would really help a lot. Or even a preference to NOT have facial recognition? Then I bet we would have better control. My calendar is not running hot at all.

Thanks all.

Apple, please !

How Can I disable facial recognition in mac Sierra ?, are 30 days my cpu this staring. (After install Sierra)

I have 80,000 photos.

😮

Likewise. At 70,000 photos, and now at one week with scorchin' hot CPU usage. I don't mind waiting, but I'd like to control when it happens to manage battery usage, please.

After two clean reinstallation of Sierra on my old iMac 2010 (for nothing) and still searching for solution for the slow pc / high CPU usage I found the photo problem amoung many others :O(

So if you are a lucky owner of an old and slow Mac with this problem.... you have two options before you buy a new Mac or windows machine.

1 option - remove photoes from your MAC and save on external device.

2 option: if you still insists to keep a huge number of pictures on your old MAC.

Then you need to do some internal work and say goodbye to the new photo features that came with Sierra.

Reboot your mac with CMD R and open terminal window and disable csrutil (security)

csrutil disable

-reboot normal

Kill some processes from terminal window with the command: "launchctl stop com.apple.photoanalysisd" and other photo....

While you still do something then you can add to the /etc/sudoers file via running

- sudo visudo and add the following default line below the other Default values

Defaults !tty_tickets

- exit from visudo

go to /System/Library/LaunchAgents/

easy way..copy plist file to home directory

- cp com.apple.photoanalysis.plist $HOME

edit the plist file and

change YES in MachServices to NO.

change YES in EnableTransactions to NO.

copy edited file back and overwrite original

- sudo cp $HOME/com.apple.photoanalysis.plist com.apple.photoanalysis.plist

remove photoanalysis file you find in the link in plist file Root.Label.Program.String

(or rename or move)

- rm /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/PhotoanAlysis.framework/Versions/A/Support/photoanalysis

(It's probably sufficient to remove the files from launchctl)

- sudo launchctl remove PhotoAnalysis

sudo launchctl list | grep "oto"

sudo launchctl remove photomoments

sudo launchctl remove photolibr*

reboot with CMD R again and enable csrutil like you did in the beginning.

Same on my MacBook Pro15/2013 - MacOS 10.12.5 Beta 5 (16F71b)