Network Extension - macOS Sierra

Some of the users of my VPN (with Network Extension) upgraded their OS to macOS Sierra.

For most of them, the app (still) works well, but for few - the app isn't working - they press the connect button, and nothing happens (probably startTunnel isn't being called). The only log I see from them is something about "plug-in failed".

I don't know if this is related, but for those with the problem - their initial OS was Yosemite (while for the other people, who hasn't had any problem, the initial OS was El Capitan).

The errors:

NESMVPNSession: Received a start command
NESMVPNSession: status changed to connecting
Subsystem: com.apple.networkextension
Failed to find the VPN app for plugin type
Subsystem: com.apple.networkextension
Failed to find the primary plugin
NESMVPNSession: status changed to disconnecting

Accepted Reply

I filed a bug (28457797) for this recently, and was told to "try specifying the providerBundleIdentifier property in your NETunnelProviderProtocol object". This has been working reliably for me.

I also filed a bug (28556407) requesting that the documentation be updated to reflect the importance of this property.

Hope that helps!

Replies

This relates to a known issue discussed in https://forums.developer.apple.com/thread/61659

How they are related?
The known issue is about error in updating the VPN app while it's connection is open (the update get stuck at the middle of the process).

My question is about the VPN app isn't working at all after updating to MacOS Sierra

I filed a bug (28457797) for this recently, and was told to "try specifying the providerBundleIdentifier property in your NETunnelProviderProtocol object". This has been working reliably for me.

I also filed a bug (28556407) requesting that the documentation be updated to reflect the importance of this property.

Hope that helps!

Thanks! I'll update if it's really solves the problem

Hi, can you say please where i can find this bugs ? (28457797) and (28556407)

Thanks)

You can't... they're only visible to Apple 😟

Sry for the long delay.

This issue is still happaning, but not as many times as before.

Thanks!