Xcode 8 Editing very slow

i downloaded the xcode Version 8.0 (8A218a) yesterday and my xcode editor became extremely slow. i can type in a complete line before i see anything on the screen and then the screen displays one character at a time at less than one character per second. the file i am editing i about 1.1 MB. this all worked perfectly before the update. i have tried a new file and copying my old file into it, but that didn't work. the current line highlighting is new as well.

thanks,

tom lindner

FILE:

kind: C Source

size: 1,090,739 bytes (1.1 MB on disk)

MAC:

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Early 2013)

2.8 GHz Intel Core i7

16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

Intel HD Graphics 4000 1536 MB

OS X El Capitan

Version 10.11.6 (15G1004)

Replies

How much free space on your drive right now?

Sounds like a bug in Xcode. We can't be sure until we investigate though.

Please file a new problem using bugreport.apple.com You can gather the information we need by running `sysdianose Xcode` in Terminal while the Xcode is being slow.

Same problem here and I have 900 GB free Space on a 1Tb Fusion Drive with 16 Gb ram. On xcode 7 it was amazing speed on storyboard, now I can go to take coffe while opens it every time i change from text editor to it.

I have this problem too. Extremely slow syntax highlighting, editing, replacing in global search, etc.

I have 90Gb free space on my MBPr 13" 2015 SSD.

The same happens to me. is impossible to work , it remains dumbfounded 10 - 15 minutes.

311.39 GB free

16 mb of RAM

xocde 8

what append?????

Concur with lindner514.

I'm seeing huge performance drop-off of Xcode 8 vs old Xcode 7. (I didn't download the beta's as running production code and waited for GM - lesson learned here.. should have tested earlier on 8)

IDE syntax highlighting is also slow, and the whole user interface is generally laggy. Seems to be Indexing the project more often, and chews the laptop battery quickly (fan kicks in when compiling)

Need to somehow roll back to Xcode 7.

* bcallaha - 'sysdiagnose Xcode', left out the 'g'

29.79 GB free disk

16 GB RAM

MBP 15", mid 2012

I have the same problem. XCode is really crashing every 5 minutes now. First while editing you notice it cannot keep up with the intellisense and makes my Macbook take off like an airplane. After a few minutes Xcode hangs and I need to kill it and restart.

Is there a workaround? because like this I cannot do my job.

I have the same issue with XCode 8, does it seem to be stuck on building/indexing everytime you type something in the editor?

I've tried to clean the 2 following folder and it seems to speed the build/indexing up. Not as fast as Xcode 7, though.

~/Library/Developer/Xcode/DerivedData/*

~/Library/Caches/com.apple.dt.Xcode/*

I'm also seeing the same issue with Xcode 8. My problem happens more so when I try to change tabs and get the beach ball of death.

325.79 GB free disk

16 GB RAM

MBP retina 15", mid 2015

2.5 GHz intel Core i7

Same problem here.

Writing just 2 lines of code then whole editer turned white.

Recompile everytime.

120GB free disk

16 GB RAM

MPR retina 13" late 2013

2.4GHz intel Core i5

The same here,

I tried to reinstall but still Xcode freezes on indexing. My project is a object-c with c++.

Was working fine in Xcode 7.3.1

120GB free disk

8 GB RAM

MPR retina 15" late 2012

2.6GHz intel Core i5

Same problem here. It seem that the code syntax highlighting is taking forever. By checking the Activity Monitor, I can see that the SourceKitService takes over 100% of CPU.

just got the update to Version 8.1 (8B62) ... still not fixed

Just to echo that 8.1 is very slow on my mid-2015 MacBook Pro retina 15" with 2.8GHZ i7 and 16 GB RAM with 74GB on SSD drive available. Can't believe a machine I bought less than a year ago is too slow to run Xcode 8.

I'm having the same problem, yesterday I've fully formatted my iMac and Xcode still can't load a nearly empty storyboard!!

Mid-2015 iMac 5k

Intel Core i5

3,3 GHz

32 GB Ram

960 GB HDD still available..