5 Replies
      Latest reply: Nov 3, 2016 9:31 AM by hhas01 RSS
      Macho Man Randy Savage Level 3 Level 3 (305 points)

How do I pass a file url or path, to a script potentially placed in my app's NSApplicationScriptsDirectory?

I admit I haven't used Applescripts much. Normally I'm able to write what I what to do in regular ObjC but it seems scripting is the only way to achieve what I'm after here. So I drop a script in my apps app script directory and do:

NSURL *urlToPassToScript = //...

NSAppleEventDescriptor *event = [NSAppleEventDescriptor descriptorWithString:urlToPassToScript.path];

NSUserAppleScriptTask *task = [[NSUserAppleScriptTask alloc]initWithURL:script error:&error];

[task executeWithAppleEvent:event
                          completionHandler:^(NSAppleEventDescriptor * _Nullable result,
                                              NSError * _Nullable error)
                 {
                    NSLog(@"Error: %@",error);
                 }];

I get:

NSLocalizedFailureReason=/usr/bin/osascript: input data for -E was not an event

So what's the proper way to pass a script an argument?

• Re: Pass an argument to NSUserAppleScriptTask
          eskimo Apple Staff Apple Staff (6,975 points)

I haven’t looked into this in detail but it would seem that NSUserAppleScriptTask is expecting an event descriptor rather than a data descriptor.  You’d construct that with +appleEventWithEventClass:eventID:targetDescriptor:returnID:transactionID:.  The event class and ID are then mapped to a handler to call within your script.  In this case you probably want kCoreEventClass and kAEOpenDocuments respectively, which translates to the AppleScript on open handler.  For example:

on open docList
              set docCount to count of docList
              display dialog "count = " & docCount
          end open

You supply the list of things to open via the keyDirectObject parameter, which you set via -setParamDescriptor:forKeyword:.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!”
          Apple Developer Relations, Developer Technical Support, Core OS/Hardware
          let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@apple.com"

Macho Man Randy Savage Level 3 Level 3 (305 points)

Thanks a lot for responding with this helpful information. I was able to get it to work after playing with it a bit. My script had an on run function:

on run argv
              --stuff
              end run

This worked fine when running the script from terminal using osascript, but I wasn't able to get this to work calling it from ObjC. After changing on run to on open I was able to get this to work.

int pid = [NSProcessInfo processInfo].processIdentifier;

NSAppleEventDescriptor *targetDescriptor = [NSAppleEventDescriptor
                                                             descriptorWithDescriptorType:typeKernelProcessID
                                                                                         bytes:&pid
                                                                                        length:sizeof(pid)];

NSAppleEventDescriptor *appleEventDescriptor = [NSAppleEventDescriptor
                                                                      appleEventWithEventClass:kCoreEventClass
                                                                      eventID:kAEOpenDocuments
                                                                      targetDescriptor:targetDescriptor
                                                                      returnID:kAutoGenerateReturnID
                                                                      transactionID:kAnyTransactionID];

NSAppleEventDescriptor *list = [[NSAppleEventDescriptor alloc]initListDescriptor];

[list insertDescriptor:[NSAppleEventDescriptor descriptorWithString:path] atIndex:1];

[appleEventDescriptor setParamDescriptor:list forKeyword:keyDirectObject];

//pass appleEventDescriptor to the task in when calling executeWithAppleEvent:completionHandler:

How would you call a function with an arbitrary name, or is that not supported? The header file of NSAppleEventDescriptor and documentation seems a little hard to piece together.

Thanks!

hhas01 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

I see Apple forum software is still utterly broken and incompetent.