Auto Unlock with Apple Watch

In Beta 2 of Sierra combined with an Apple Watch (watch OS 3 Beta 2) its now possible to aktivate Auto Unlock. I've tried to activate the Checkbox on my iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015) and a Error says, that the Mac couldnt find the Apple Watch. The Watch is on, unlocked and on my wrist. After reboot from Mac and Apple Watch, the option to enable Auto Unlock is not shown anymore.

Any ideas about?

Replies

Same here. The setting doesn't show up.

If you type "watch" in the search bar in System Preferences, you can see that the only result mentions "Setting is hidden if watch not paired".

I'm guessing the problem lies with iCloud detecting the paired watch, so I'm going to start by debugging that (unpairing and repairing etc).

Right after I changed my Apple ID Password the previously working Apple Watch Auto Unlock feature did not work and unckecking and re-checking the 'Allow Apple Watch to Unlock you Mac' checkbox in System Preferences/Privacy Settings relulted in an intermidably spinning animation until a dialog finally said the Mac could not communicate with the Watch. The cure was to unpair the Watch and re-pair it, setting it up as a new watch; setting it up from a backup did not work.

I don't know if this situation relates to the reason(s) for similar situations above but the method may be worth a try.

I'm looking to buy a usb wifi adapter to check if I can get auto-unlock to work that way, have the MBP early 2013.

Getting the "edimax EW-7711MAC" usb wifi adapter, but on their website driver download doesn't mention support for 10.12

@fischersd let me know what usb wifi adapter you used, and any luck at all!!!

So you can't even switch the 802.11n with an 802.11ac?

Had the same issue, https://davidroessli.com/logs/2016/09/allow_your_apple_watch_to_unlo/ answered it

Seems to be a lot of issues with no real solutions on this yes...

I have MacBook Pro Late-2013

Sierra 10.12

iPhone 6S (trusted Device) iOS 10.0.2

Watch Original with OS3

I have the options but on verifying the MacBook it says "Error verifying iPhone passcode"

Near Lock was working great until Sierra (They could not fix it with an update yet...)

I'm very confused here. All requirements here are ok but can't turn on auto unlock since the box isn't even there. Handoff ok, wifi ok, 2FP ok in all devices (applewatch series 2, McbookPro early 2015, Iphone 6 ), all systems up to date, tried sign in and out Icloud account with them all. Strangely at WIFI information screen there's no support to auto unlock. Mcbook is brand new, less than 30 days of use. Any further ideas? Thnx!

You have WiFi AND Bluetooth turned ON... have you?

Apple now states this is only supported on Late 2013 or newer Macbooks, excluding the Early 2013 models. Some have reported success by replacing the wifi carrd with a newer type, but have exprienced other issues as a result.