Search ads - no impressions yet?

Hi everyone,

It's 6pm central time now and my search ads show as active but are reporting no impressions so far.

Is anyone seeing impressions?

I'm just trying to figure out if it's

a) due to too low of bids

b) due to delayed reporting

c) something else

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!

Andrew

Replies

I wonder if perhaps many of us are seeing very low impressions, not because of search volume, but because of daily caps and campaign budget settings. i.e., perhaps the ad system is being very cautious so we don't get a zillion impressions and overshoot the budgets?

As a test maybe I will try one with a much larger budget and daily limit.

EDIT: Or maybe there are just not that many searches.

As of today, I'm seeing 1400 impressions, 231 taps, 124 conversions for a conversion rate of 54%. I hope others are doing well.

How are people testing their apps in the App Store? I've setup my campaign to not show the ad to people who already have it installed. I deleted the app from my device but I'm still not seeing the ad thru multiple attempts at different times on different days. I even signed-out of the App Store and did a search; nothing.

Frank

>I deleted the app from my device but I'm still not seeing the ad thru multiple attempts at different times on different days.

So you've decided to waste your bids on fake pulls? They know when you've been pulling your own lever, right?

Hi Frank, My thought on your testing is that maybe that setting really means what it says -- people who have not installed -- as opposed to people who do not currently have the app installed. Your numbers look good -- mine are similar except for impressions, which are much lower. Is your app a game or in some other space? For keywords, roughly how many are you using? 10, 100, 1000? Are you using mostly broad match or narrow/exact? Thanks!!

Same here, very low impressions and low taps. I can change CPT to higher values, no change in impressions. For me it is getting lower every day.

I'm also completely unsure about if I should set my own keywords or not. When Apple know the keywords, why should I set my own?

For guys, who get no traffic:

Maybe reason is too narrow settings of your ads group.

My first adgroup have settings: Search match OFF, exact match for keywords plus a few auditory targeting options

I still get no expression here.

I made two more adgroups, one with broad match for keywords, and one with search match ON (without any keywords), and turn any audience targeting off.

Now it works for me even with low bids (like 0.05 - 0.1)

Unfortunately, traffic is still low. For example, stats for yesterday: 166 impressions, 18 taps, 7 conversions.

I've tried to play with bids, but even with much higher bids the traffic was the same.

Same thing, I have 7 ad groups, about 4k keywords total, with all possible combinations of search match/exact/broad and have about 500 impressions per day, even the most popular keyword (by search ads data) has about 200 impressions per day with 0.5 bid and 0.1 final cpt.

That's really strange.

Broad match for keyword is just keyword, right? To make it exact match you should type it in the [brackets]. Am I getting it right?

Hey guys. I'm outside of the US. Can you please check if there are ads for the word 'molecules' and 'atoms'?

Thank you!

Thanks drewster. I also logged out of the App Store and did a search but it didn't show up. The app is not a game and it's in the Sports category. I have about 15 direct competitors and they'll be displayed with every search I do on my keywords I have about 25 keywords, mostly broad match.

I'm not seeing anyone else's ad so I don't think my competitors are buying the name of my app as a keyword. If they did, because i've never had those installed on my test Apple ID's, I would expect to see their ad instead of mine.

I give up!

I've had about roughly 22 keywords with $5 bid on each.

0 impressions. (0 taps blah.. blah)

I paused my campaign and I'm going back to other means of app adverstising.

Have you tried to contact Apple on this issue? They respond very quickly for the messages via contact form.

Yes I did contact them and got a template answer (my comments are given in bold):

"There are many factors that affect whether your ad received impressions, including relevancy (how to measure?) and bid amount comparative to your competitors, and the number of times users on the App Store are searching for apps like yours (searched for it keywords about 50 times). Impressions are not guaranteed, but to improve your chances, try turning on Search Match (it's on since day 1), adjusting your keywords, or increasing your max cost-per-tap bid (it is 5 dollars).

Whether your ad shows over other advertisers bidding on that same query is determined by the combination of your app’s relevance to the search query and the amount of your bid. It’s just as important to know when your app won’t appear. For example, if your app isn’t relevant for what the user is looking for, it won’t make it into the ad spot regardless of how much you may be willing to pay. Search Ads considers both relevance as well as bidding, and does not put apps into auctions if they are not a good match."

Yeah, I got the same answer.

It would be nice to have some indicators that show you "you were outbid" (like on ebay) or "this keyword isn’t relevant for your app". But we don’t have such messages so I can only guess what’s wrong with our campaings.

Hi,

I am not getting impressions either. I am not based in the US but the app is available on the US app store. Is anyone else advertising from abroad?

Also, what do you guys do for scheduling the ads? Do you put them on for the whole day?

Thanks