"direct" vs. "dirent" -- am I crazy?

Would someone mind sanity-checking me on something, please?

I'm trying to build the RabbitMQ Client, while porting it to Swift 3 and OS X (which it doesn't support). That is, the tests are written in Swift while the RabbitMQ library itself remains Obj-C. I'm have a frustrating compile error between the two. I've boiled the error down to the following two files. When I make an Xcode 8 project with just these, it won't build... and they couln't be simpler...

ChannelSpy.swift :

import Foundation
class ChannelSpy: RMQChannel {
  func direct(_ name: String!) {}
}

RMQChannel.h :

#import <Foundation/Foundation.h>
@protocol RMQChannel
- (void) direct:(NSString *)name;
@end

Bridging-Header.h :

#import "RMQChannel.h"

Upon Build, I get the following:

Type 'ChannelSpy' does not conform to protocol 'RMQChannel'

Protocol requires function 'dirent' with type '(String!) -> Void'; do you want to add a stub?

/Proj/. . ./ChannelSpy.swift:4:7: error: type 'ChannelSpy' does not conform to protocol 'RMQChannel'
class ChannelSpy: RMQChannel {
      ^
__ObjC.RMQChannel:2:17: note: protocol requires function 'dirent' with type '(String!) -> Void'; do you want to add a stub?
    public func dirent(_ name: String!)
                ^

What's this "dirent" stuff? Am I (or the Rabbit project) not allowed to use the name "direct"? I googled this (extensively, of course) and I see vestiges of "#define direct dirent" in ancient BSD code remnants, but I'm sure that has nothing to do with anything.

Can anyone shed any light on this mystery? Or help verify whether or not I've lost my mind? Thanks SO MUCH for any help...

Tadd

Replies

Why do some "moderator approvals" on messages (like this one) take so long?

Probably they have defined dirent in their protocol ; may be a typo, but it must be here.

You got moderated because you reference a link in your post. Each time there is a URL link, the message is checked.

I managed to reproduce the problem with the minimal test case you described. I’m pretty sure this is a bug in Xcode. You should definitely file a bug about it. Please post your bug number, just for the record.

Curiously, if I change

RMQChannel.h
to this:
@class NSString;
@protocol RMQChannel 
- (void) direct:(NSString *)name; 
@end

things work. I can then add the

@import Foundation;
to other includes listed after
RMQChannel.h
in the bridging header, and things still work. But any include of Foundation in or before
RMQChannel.h
triggers the failure.

If I change the method name to something else (

-directQ
, for example), it works.

If I switch

direct
to be a property, things work.

My conclusion is that something in Foundation has caused Swift’s C importer to mix up

dirent
and
direct
, but anything beyond that would be pure speculation on my part. Regardless, it’s definitely Radar Time™.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!”
Apple Developer Relations, Developer Technical Support, Core OS/Hardware

let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@apple.com"