USB Devices Not Recognising After Sierra Beta 2 Install

Immediately after install of second Sierra Beta install, no external USB devices are being recognised. Late 2012 MacBook Pro with two USB3.0 ports.

Seems the devices are found in under System Report/Information through 'About this Mac' and are shown as receiving power output from the MacBook (also device power LEDs are lit, but do not show in Finder and are not accessible in anyway. Non-powered USB devices are also not being recognised.

Have tried an SMC Reset and also a NVRAM reset as suggested in various forum threads but still nothing working. MacBook also has an SD Card port and this works fine when a card is inserted. Also tried basic system restarts and shut downs with and without devices plugged in.

All help much appreciated as this bug makes it difficult to do quite a lot of things...

Replies

The newest update has fixed this issue. Everythng seems to be running ok even with this late 2011 model. a little slow but its to be expected.

Same here...Beta 2 was fine with my 2012 rMBP but since Beta 3 nothing I plug in will recognize. Port on the right side shows a USB flash drive as "Composite Device" and left side port never shows anything.

Tried Logitech webcam, Dell mouse, multiple flash drives, iPhone 6 Plus...nothing shows up

Like others, all internal devices on the USB 2.0 bus show up...but anything plugged into the USB 3.0 ports don't.

Hopefully will be addressed in B4.

I'm having a similar issue with beta 3. Any USB devices plugged straight into my mac mini (late 2012) work fine. But nothing plugged into a USB 3 hub that I've been using for years is recognized. I guess I'm rolling back to a Time Machine backup for a second time. (This machine ran into the beta 3 login loop bug too.)

The latest update (6) does not fix this issue for me? My WD My passport (Macbook Retina 12)has not been seen since installing Sierra...So no backup, etc......The drive is seen when booting and holding alt BUT after boot and login no drive. I have tried uninstalling the WD turbo drivers as instructed on other forum but this is not working.....

same here.... even i thougt that the latest beta might resolve this issue but it didn't... have all my back ups on external drives as natural ... don't want to revert back as i have lot of command line utilities installed after i installed the sierra and have not backed that up in time machine .... waiting for the next beta release... hoping that Apple will resolve this so common issue in the next beta release

I don't know if this helps, but I have a couple of SATA III HDDs that when used with an USB 3.0 case (Icybox IB-273) do not get recognized. Using USB 2.0 cases they work just fine (up to 40 MB/s which isn't that bad).

So this is my full scenario:

- USB 2.0 case + SATA II HDD Works

- USB 2.0 case + SATA III HDD Works

- USB 3.0 case + SATA II HDD Works

- USB 3.0 case + SATA III HDD Does NOT Work

- USB 3.0 case + USB 2.0 HUB + SATA III HDD works again

To make a long story short the only way I have to make them showing in Finder is to force USB 2.0 (either with a 2.0 case or an USB 2.0 HUB).

Hi. I installed Sierra beta 10.12 onto my brand new iMac. I have been installing the apps that I use the most, one at a time, and have been taking my time.

I was able to use my USB 3 drive with no problems, until I started playing around with the preferences in Finder.

I made quite a few changes to the preferences, but it was the following changes which I think caused the USB3 drive to stop being recognised:

General

Show these items on the desktop: All check boxes --> On

New Finder windows show: ~User

Open folders in tabs... --> Off

I changed the preferences back to the default settings, which were from memory:

Show these items on the desktop: Only CDs' DVDs adn iPods --> On ; the rest --> Off

New Finder windows show: All My Files

Open folders in tabs... --> Off

Then, after unplugging and then reconnecting the USB3 drive, it was recognised again. I went and made the changes to the preferences again (i.e. all checkboxes On) but I haven't yet been able to replicate the connectivity problem since.

My iMac has recognised every USB drive since (the one I was using, plus others).

I hope this help others.

This worked for me

Reset System Management Controller SMC

Shut down

Press and hold

shift, ctrl cmd(option) + power

Corrected the issue and no problem since

Same problem : since Sierra update, none of the USB ports are working. (imac late 2012).

But they are working if I launch "Apple Hardware Test".

If you are using a Seagate external usb hard drive go to this web page and install this driver and it should work fine after that. Worked for me.

http://www.seagate.com/au/en/support/downloads/item/ntfs-driver-for-mac-os-master-dl/

By installing this "driver" would the process erase what is already on my Seagate 4TB Hard Drive?

Has anyone found any other solution to this problem? I am currently running the Sierra 10.12 Version and my Hard Drive is only showing up in Disk Utility but will not mount to my computer.

I have exactly the same problem when I installed this MacOsSierra, are there actions by Apple of whatever taken to fix this this already? this is very frustrating

Thanks a lot. I had same problem with my Seagate Slim Drive - I re-installed the driver as you suggested and all was well - and as I had asssumed all my data remained intact on the Seagate and could be accesssed normally after the re-install which answers Daladno's concerns.

Can't say I am as happy with Apple as i used to be - this is second time I experienced major issues after upgrading to a new version of the OS.

Cheers

Hi I have had the same problem with my seagate 4TB drive I had to download the softwear below and after that it mounted fine

http://www.seagate.com/support/external-hard-drives/desktop-hard-drives/backup-p lus-desk/ntfs-driver-for-mac-os-master-dl/

From my late 2012 iMac I can confirm a new bug with usb 2 vs usb 3 under the latest Sierras. Was testing 10.12 Betas on an external WD drive in usb 3 case without issue. Did a clean install of Sierra offical release on same drive and drive would not reboot , with screen showing the slashed grey circle. Shutdown, reconnected drive in usb 2 case, rebooted and install continued to successful completion. Rebooted again to verify drive, then shutdown and reconnected in usb 3 case. Again, the boot from USB 3 failed. Tried all of the standard hardware resets to no avail. The lastest 10.21.1 Beta shows the same results. Cannot boot into the Recovery partitions either.

The USB 3 drive is reset during the boot sequence, but goes to a power down state and never wakes up.

Something changed between the last 10.12 Beta and the 10.12 Release.